Sign in to follow this  
kama_leon@hotma

computer turns off after a second of turning it on.

When the fan was in the mobo, I would power on for half a second. The fan would spin for half a second and stop...

Cold boot should be a lttle different

Actually, this sounds exactly like the cold boot issue to me. When my boards fail to cold boot, they power on for about a second and then turn off. If moving fans around fixes the problem, more power to you. Its just that it took forever for me to narrow the problem down and fix it. The cap mod only takes a few seconds to try out and is easily cheaper than anything else you can try, including buying a fan controller.

Check to see if cycling the PSU with the on/off switch on the back allows you to boot normally. Also, check to see if pressing the power on switch very precisely and quickly allows you to boot normally when you would otherwise be experiencing the cold boot problem.

If either of those tests are positive, try the cap mod.

but he does not own an expert

1 of 2 things

or your redlines finally gone to meet the maker....my 3 pairs did :rolleyes:

or during our clean up you disconected something...

try the mounting outside the case with minimum hardware.....check the cpu cooler....reseat it again

good luck

thanks all for the replies,

* Power connection to the board are checked and in place

* I was under the impression (from teh build up) that cold boot was related to a memory issue. i guess dfi has expanded its definition/problems since then.

* I have tried other memory and its a no go. The board should stay on even when memory banks are not populated, so its not a memory issue.

* i have a fan controller did test with it & behaved the same.

Im starting to get really upset with dfi boards, in 10 years of building comps i have never found so much istability and 'pickyness' from a board, specially not one that costed me $200!

Anyways, this behavior started soon after i replaced a 12cm (120cfm) cpu fan for a 9cm 50cfm fan to cut down on noice and disconected 2 other fans. two of the fans were connected to the fan controller and the cpu one directly to a 12v plug.

Ill take the board out to get it rma'd but will 'build' it again outside the case as of last test. maybe my board liked to be loud .. lol

well well... may not the boards fault afterall...my 'partial' apologies to DFI.. I removed the CPU after a failed attempt at an outside build and found one of the pins from the CPU stuck in the socket.

im gonna do an RMA from AMD. i hope they dont replace my venice with a sucky mem controler winchester.