Considering MoBo for DV EDITING (Not O/Cing)

Hello DFI Street!

I am on the verge of selecting the DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D for my new DV Non-Linear Editing Rig. Before I bombard you guys with questions I'll give you guys the SPECS I am considering:

Motherboard: DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D

CPU: Athlon64 X2 4200+

RAM: 2 x Kingston 1024MB PC3200 (KVR400X64C3A/1G)*

HD: Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA-II 16M

GPU: eVGA Geforce 7600 GT CO 256M DDR3

Case: Antec SLK1650B ATX 350W

DVD-RW: Sony 120A DVD-/+RW

Total Cost of Rig: $1290.00 Canadian Dollars w/o Taxes

Primary Use: DV Non-Linear Editing (No HD)

Secondary Use: Racing Sims / FPS Gaming / Media Center

This is a budget set-up (but good enough to do NLE at a reaasonable speed) because my priority is the DV Camera which will be around $4000.

I am NOT planning to overclock immediately but in the future I want to have the option. I selected this board because almost everyone and every review site I have read recommends this board for overclockers and since stability is very important to me I figure even if I am not overclocking this might be my best choice.

Here is my problem, I used to be really into computer hardware, overclocking and tweaking but I have been out of the scene for so long I would call myself a straight up newb. One of the cons that I have read is it takes quite a bit of tweakage to get the motherboard working right.

The question is, will it require a great deal of tweakage to get it working under stock conditions? I really don't want to fuss with tweaking right now and I certainly don't want to run into issues with RAM which leads into my second question.

I have read that cheap/value RAM is a no-no for this motherboard yet on the DFI website one of the recommended DDR400 sticks is the Kingston 1024MB PC3200 (KVR400X64C3A/1G). I trhought that series of Kingston was considered value RAM yet it's recommended for overclocking (which I will not be doing?) by the Manufacturer. Is this a safe pick for RAM I am not playing to overclock?

Another question is RAID support. I am confident the nF4 chipset is the one to go with for RAID however is the layout of the motherboard good for a RAID setup and how is the setup itself? Are we talking major tweakage or pretty much plug and go?

Please feel free to comment on the setup in general and any suggestion will be welcome!

PantlessOne

Hello DFI Street!

I am on the verge of selecting the DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D for my new DV Non-Linear Editing Rig. Before I bombard you guys with questions I'll give you guys the SPECS I am considering:

Motherboard: DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D

CPU: Athlon64 X2 4200+

RAM: 2 x Kingston 1024MB PC3200 (KVR400X64C3A/1G)*

HD: Seagate Barracuda 300GB SATA-II 16M

GPU: eVGA Geforce 7600 GT CO 256M DDR3

Case: Antec SLK1650B ATX 350W

DVD-RW: Sony 120A DVD-/+RW

Total Cost of Rig: $1290.00 Canadian Dollars w/o Taxes

Primary Use: DV Non-Linear Editing (No HD)

Secondary Use: Racing Sims / FPS Gaming / Media Center

This is a budget set-up (but good enough to do NLE at a reaasonable speed) because my priority is the DV Camera which will be around $4000.

I am NOT planning to overclock immediately but in the future I want to have the option. I selected this board because almost everyone and every review site I have read recommends this board for overclockers and since stability is very important to me I figure even if I am not overclocking this might be my best choice.

Here is my problem, I used to be really into computer hardware, overclocking and tweaking but I have been out of the scene for so long I would call myself a straight up newb. One of the cons that I have read is it takes quite a bit of tweakage to get the motherboard working right.

The question is, will it require a great deal of tweakage to get it working under stock conditions? I really don't want to fuss with tweaking right now and I certainly don't want to run into issues with RAM which leads into my second question.

I have read that cheap/value RAM is a no-no for this motherboard yet on the DFI website one of the recommended DDR400 sticks is the Kingston 1024MB PC3200 (KVR400X64C3A/1G). I trhought that series of Kingston was considered value RAM yet it's recommended for overclocking (which I will not be doing?) by the Manufacturer. Is this a safe pick for RAM I am not playing to overclock?

Another question is RAID support. I am confident the nF4 chipset is the one to go with for RAID however is the layout of the motherboard good for a RAID setup and how is the setup itself? Are we talking major tweakage or pretty much plug and go?

Please feel free to comment on the setup in general and any suggestion will be welcome!

PantlessOne

This should be in recommendations section, however to answer some of your questions..

1)If you don't want to spend time tweaking this board and such just to get stable then by all means, this board is definitely not for you. I do however recommend the DFI nForce 4 Infinity series as it's pretty much plug and go.

2) The memory you picked out is kinda...well...let's just say there is better for cheaper probably! Especially 2x1GB sticks. I recommend the G.Skill 2x1GB PC4000 HZ set. Terrific memory. Runs for about 150 bucks.

Keep in mind, Value RAM is a hit and miss kind of thing. It's just un-used IC chips and such that didn't pass a speed binning process for mainstream lines such as Kingston's Hyper X.

3) The motherboard is perfect for RAID. Onboard is great especially if you don't want to pay 300 dollars for a top notch card.

4) Your power supply DOES NOT meet DFI recommended specifications for normal operation. The minimum requirement is 480W with 28 amps on the +12v rail. Same applies for Infinity series.

Other than that, your setup looks top notch. Just make a few adjustments and you'll be set. Also - welcome to DFI street.