System performance problem!

Hi!

I've tried everything, but it seems impossible to get better scores in 3dmark05, please help!

6400-6900 seem a bit too low for a X1800XT 256 MB Viedo card

If I increase the GPU core speed 1-? MHz (!), I get a errormessage in 3Dmark "3dmark05 has encountered a problem"

Regards,

Your PSU is the issue, less power for power hungry hardware that can't hit the speeds they need to reach. Also which drivers are you running? The X1800 needs a quality powersupply for it to hit the stock overclock speeds, and if you don't give it enough power, the frequencies are going to be much much lower then the overclock 3dmode. 650/1500 isn't reaching....i'm assuming....

So the PSU is the problem?

Using the latest BIOS drivers found on DFI's homepage, Latest ATI Drivers, Latest Nvidia Chipset drivers...

The frequencies on my videocard is under the normal values (original 600/700), now working at 594/693, and when pressing "Find max core" on ATi Tool, it gets too hot and a errormessage appears...Getting frustrated

Still believe that it's PSU?

Been thinking about RMA the videocard, never had a PSU-issue earlier...

To get higher speeds you have to input higher energy levels. Thus, if you want your CPU/Vid card/ram to reach their peak speeds, they need to have enough power to do so. If they don't have enough power, then they run at sub-optimal speed and produce sub-optimal 3d mark results :)

PS: Check this thread for recommended PSU's

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

Yeah I've checked out that thread...

Are you telling me that if I get a PSU with more W and Amps, the scores will be higher? Shouldn't my system be very unstable if I didn't have enough power?

I mean, it's working...Guess it's really hard for me to realize that it is the PSU that causes me all this... :)

Can't get it...but I guess you're right...damn..

No comments about the PSU I linked t earlier?

You got same PSU as me !?! Confused

Notice that he's running a 7600gt, which uses SIGNIFICANTLY less power...it MAY NOT just be the PSU. Apparently mine isnt powerful enough for my system either...

I'm also having a hard time coming to grips with my PSU being the reason for (a different occurance to yours) random glitching/1-2second freezes while in windows/games/playing music/movies etc...

Yeah I've checked out that thread...

Are you telling me that if I get a PSU with more W and Amps, the scores will be higher? Shouldn't my system be very unstable if I didn't have enough power?

I mean, it's working...Guess it's really hard for me to realize that it is the PSU that causes me all this... :)

Can't get it...but I guess you're right...damn..

No comments about the PSU I linked t earlier?

What stability tests have you run?

Run for example the 30min OCCT test. If it passes take a look at the graphs you get. Even though it's software readings it might give you an idea of possibile fluctuating problems.

You should also run Prime95 at least 8 hours blended mode, which will stress both you CPU and RAM.

Let's say there's some other explanaition as well to why your score is on the low side, but you're still running the risk of being or you already are underpowered. If your system would run at stock, then maybe you would be fine, but you're not.

You don't think that I've tried without any OC?

The scores I get at stock, is just about the same results, and thats 800 MHz difference...

And why is my temps running so high on my videocard, over 70 C with fan spinning at 70-80%

You don't think that I've tried without any OC?

The scores I get at stock, is just about the same results, and thats 800 MHz difference...

And why is my temps running so high on my videocard, over 70 C with fan spinning at 70-80%

I didn't say that you haven't tried running 3DMark on stock. I stated that when your system is overclocked it will for certain need more power than a 450W PSU is capable of.

Could you give as some information about the CPU scores you get in 3DMark05 OC:ed and on stock, and likewise for the GPU. Would be interesting to see since you say the total score is pretty much the same.

You didn't answer the question about other stability tests. It would be valuable information.

Heat: Those graphic-cards are known to get pretty hot. Since you know about the problem run the fan at max. Your case has just one 120 mm exhaust fan and therefore your temperatures will accordingly be quite high. If you want high performance and want to overclock I would suggest you find a way to modify your case or look for another which at least has one 120 mm intake fan.