Figured Out Why Comp Won't Run Memory In Orange Slots!!!!!

Huh? Pushing past 1.65 is not a reason for a CPU Memory controller to crap out, I ran my old Winchester over 1.9Vcore sometimes, it worked fine when I sold it. A few people did have problems when running a high Vdimm with low Vcore on Expert boards and using the shipping BIOS. The problem is probably incompability with the Opterons, I don't think any motherboard officially supports s939 Opterons and there might be a reason for that, myself I can't use the Yellow slots with mine.

It is a reason for the memory controller to crap out. Any combination of high vcore and low vdimm, or high vdimm and low vcore will definitely kill it. It may not have done it on your cpu since those were made for voltage...however, these are 90nm, which are extremely sensitive to voltage, and can scale well sometimes.

It is a reason for the memory controller to crap out. Any combination of high vcore and low vdimm, or high vdimm and low vcore will definitely kill it. It may not have done it on your cpu since those were made for voltage...however, these are 90nm, which are extremely sensitive to voltage, and can scale well sometimes.

I don't agree, I sometimes ran 3.5Vdimm since I had BH-5s before when I was trying to max the ram, so I didn't run a especially high Vcore. And as I said it probably still works today, and Winchester cores were 90nm, just like the Venice/San Diego/Toledo/Manchester, just that it lacked SSE3. But it is true that running high Vcore or high Vdimm is a REASON for it to crap out.

Well what do you guys make of this, i buaght an opty 165, 2x1GB g.skill ram kit and an ultra D.

Unstable in windows 64 and 32. i experimented and found 1 of the ram sticks would cuase blue screens of death and instabilty, couldn't run reliably in dual channel, and the bad stick certainly didn;t run stable on it's own in single channel no matter what ram slot you used., swap it out for the other stick and it was 100% stable.

So i sent it back. The computer shop is charging me $35 for testing the ram and they said it is fine, with no problems. (if anything it proves both sticks certainly arn't a matched pair becuase 1 acts like it's defective)

How can this be? It seems the opterons might have some issues with dual channel. But i'm temporarly running 2x 512MB sticks in dual channel without issue.

They probably didn't test it with the same configuration as you have, really stupid of them not to and then charge you for it, if I were you I'd ask them if they did try the stick/sticks with a s939 Opteron. Also never send a one stick when it belongs to a Dual Channel kit. If you have the sticks at home try them in another computer, your friends or so.

I have been stuck with a 200$ gig of ram sitting on my desk and unusable for the last 2 weeks, have posted about 30 times on the boards and nothing, even wrote to angryGames, he asked for the link to my thread and never returned any thing, i guess noone knows how to troubleshoot this properly, random troubleshooting that reminds me of voodoo spells and burning inscence and rma every component 10 times, do trial and error testing, try with another component, buy lots of spare parts just incase, but i am proud, i'm with the cool kids now.

Thanx Nehil, I sent both sticks back even tho only one stick was cuasing me problems.

After two weeks of waiting the computer shop guy e-mailed me back to say he has thouroughly tested both sticks and found nothing wrong with them, and to deposit $35 for testing and return. He mentioned he tested them out on a DFI mainboard can't remember model and that he had to up the voltage to 2.7 to get it to boot ?!? makes no sense to me! he also said DFI MB's undervolt ram and report higher voltages then what they are getting, he also said 1GB modules don't like 2.5volts or some crap. I think he pulled most of that from his butt.

But by the sounds of it he only did memtest and prime 95 for 36 hours. Even tho i tested the ram out and couldn't find anything. The fact that 1 stick was perfect, then swap in the other 1GB stick and bam BSOD everywhere. So much for a matched pair of ram sticks then. No matter what twiddeling i did i couldn't get that bodgy stick of ram stable so i say it's defective.

My Opteron ran dual channel fine? Although I did find one of the sticks to be defective and will be getting a replacement tomarrow. Random Restarts but prime stable for 48 hours..

I am confident the new sticks will work fine though, one of the sticks would not run in my NF2 board either (the reason for building my new computer was OCZ telling me that they do not gauranty compatability with NF2 board..

In your case it may be better to not pay the deposit and dispute the payment if you used a credit card. They will have you write a letter explaining the problem...

$35 for them to spend 1 min poping the sticks in the compure seem ridiculous. Not like testing the memory actualy requires them to sit around and watch it...

Hi guys after having the same problem as many of you in that my memory won't run in dual chan (orange slots 2+4) i took my pc to my friends house and got it out on the bench and did some tests, his cpu (amd 64 3200+) would work fine in my board and i could use the orange slots, My cpu in his (asus A8n SLi) board wouldn't work in dual channel. I tested his ram in my board with no luck

so to conclude guys it's more than likely your cpu that's had it! sorry to say but thought i'd let you guys know as it has been frustrating the hell out of me!

Well, After my latest testing, I am going to have to agree with you...

My newest processor works just fine in dual channel for now. My 146 works in dual channel in other boards. Just something about this picky DFI...

Well, After my latest testing, I am going to have to agree with you...

My newest processor works just fine in dual channel for now. My 146 works in dual channel in other boards. Just something about this picky DFI...

Told ya the DFI's were picky as hell :) (stroodlebug from [H]).