Why did they give the slower controller boot order precedence?

I setup 2 RAID volumes on the ULI controller but now that I want to add an extra SATA drive to the Sillicon Image controller the BIOS now will only list the drive on the Sillicon Image controller as a bootable drive and I can’t boot the RAID volume on the ULI controller. It no longer shows the RAID volume on the ULI controller. HELP? I don’t want to reinstall everything just to add an extra drive. Why did they give the slower controller boot order precedence?

try setting up the second array on the remaining two ULI ports

as for why they put the boot order this way...I have no idea. But I would send an email to [email protected] and ask them to fix the bios to change the boot order of the RAID controllers as hardly anyone will boot from the slow Si3114 controller.

That’s the problem. I already have 2 RAID volumes on the ULI controller using 4 drives. I want to add a fifth drive but can’t. If I take off one RAID volume (2 drives) and plug the new one 500GB drive on the ULI controller I can boot. I just tried putting the 2 drives that were part of the second RAID volume on the Sli controller and same thing happens. If I boot with any drive plugged in the Sli controller it makes it the bootable hard drive.

Look you’ve got 8 SATA connections as long as you don’t use more than 4 hard drives and or want to boot from the faster ULI controller.

I sent an email as you suggested. I also tried to fill out the DFI support form but it would not send and had some kind of java error.

Poop! :(

Tech Support reply:

Dear Richard:

Thanks for your enquiry.

The phenomenon appeared on your motherboard is an existing issue. Currently we are waiting for new update BIOS to correct this issue.

We will keep you inform if we have any update information.

Best Regard,

Frankie Hsieh

Technical Support Engineer

DFI Inc.

Office/Hsi-Chih Factory:

100, Huan-Ho St, Hsi-Chih City,

Taipei Hsien, Taiwan, R.O.C.

Tel : (886-2)2694-2986 * 683

Fax : (886-2)2694-5815.2694-3221

Yes, I will remain hopeful as my 500GB (That’s 450ishGB to everyone that’s not selling them. – Bastards!) backup drive will be idle until then. I do wish they had a known issues list of some kind rather then me having to bug them and everyone else and spending a few man days trying to make sure I was not missing something.

Guest Bulldog

Another person has reported this issue and I have checked and noted it as well under lab conditions. DFI HQ has been informed of the matter and I am expecting a BIOS update to be released shortly to rectify the matter. Just hang on for a bit :)

• 2 weeks later...
Another person has reported this issue and I have checked and noted it as well under lab conditions. DFI HQ has been informed of the matter and I am expecting a BIOS update to be released shortly to rectify the matter. Just hang on for a bit :)

What would a realistic ETA be?