Considering Ducting (mostly out of boredom)

You should have just called me an idiot.

Good points, well spoken. My air management goes back to the drawing board tomorrow.

No way, brother! I wouldn't call anyone here an idiot... unless they said that Intel rocks and MSI makes a better MB than DFI! :shake:

Sometimes, even a blind squirrel gets a nut. That day was just my lucky day. :nod:

Mark

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the ideas.

You're welcome!

My only concern is that the 80 fan will be located right by the PSU exhaust, so its probably not going to be getting the coldest air possible, but the air exiting the psu isn't really that hot and seems to cool down pretty quickly, so it shouldn't really be a problem.

You could buy/build a small duct that directs the airflow up and out from the PSU. That would keep the air from circulating within the case...

Also I did spend some time today cleaning up the cables in my case. Its looking pretty snazzy. I only had 1 cable tie and then I had some colored velcro ties that do the job but look silly.

I don't care if you used yarn and bubble gum! :shake: You got it cleaned up and improved the air flow. That's the most important thing. Here's how I have my case layed out:

PC%20MB%20View.jpg

PC%20Guts%20View.jpg

I have the 120 mm intake on the right, cooling my HD's. The 80 mm directs air over my video card and NF3 chipset. The Big Typhoon cools the CPU while the 120 mm exhaust vents the case and the PSU pulls out more heat under load. I made sure to tuck the cables in to maximize airflow... but I could spend more time making it perfect.

I'm probably just going to get one of the generic ducting kits (they claim to fit 80, 70 and 60mm fans so I should be good), some cable ties and fan screws. If it does end up cooling down my cpu a little bit, thats a hella cheap alternative to a new HSF :D

Fresh air has to be better than what I have now. I opened up my side panel and put my hand in some of the parts of the case and I realized that since my 1x120mm intake fan is located on my hard drive cage, my cpu is getting warm air from my hard drives. Fresh air from the back has got to be cooler than that!

Fresh air = happy PC. Just remember that the heat will rise, so adding fans on the bottom of the case to draw cool air in will help. Fans located high in the case will be great at pulling the heat out. You can't beat Physics/Thermodynamics.

You would be surprised at the heat generated in your machine. Attempting to narrow it down to individual areas is crazy... but I plan on using a thermal camera to take some pictures of my MB under load to see where the hot spots are located. Maybe I can come up with a better solution than what I have currently?!?!

No matter what you do.... it's still a lot of fun getting there, huh? :nod:

Mark

Actually I did sort of a low-tech test today to see if there would be any other way to suck in air for my cpu. It seems like all the hot air in my case gets sucked out right away by my 120mm exhaust fan before it can rise to go through the PSU and my 2 80mm exhaust fans (1 of which will be intake soon). I guess the way its positioned causes that to happen. The front and rear both have 120mm fans and they are just about level (intake is a little lower) so i guess the air flows right through, between the hard drives, to the cpu and video card and then right out. If you put your hand behind the 120mm exhaust (lower) and the 80mm exhaust (way higher), the air coming from the higher 80mm fan is considerably cooler. I guess since all my hot components are low in my case and all my low/no heat components are high, almost all the hot air is gone before it can rise high enough to be drawn out by my 2 80s. BEAT THAT THERMODYNAMICS! :cool:

Oh and I ordered my ducting and a whole mess of black cable ties from frozencpu today so they should be arriving next week. Thats probably the only problem about cheap pc mods/supplies is that you get screwed on the shipping (it costs me just about the same to ship as my subtotal!) Oh well, still only about 20 bucks so not bad.

I really like your layout, Fast Hot Rod. I always have problems with unused psu cables getting in the way. Right now I've made it so that only the necessary cables go below the top section of my case where all my components are. Unfortunately, the rest of the cables are stuffed in the railing that separates top from bottom so its kind of a mess. I'm going to end up having to figure out what to do with all that crap once my duct comes, because it has to go through there. Its times like these that make me wish I would have done the smart thing and got one of those new fangled modular power supplies!

Ducting is very effective at reducing case ambient temperatures and delivering external ambient temperatures to the hottest components first. Check out the links in my signature for cheap as free cooling. I am a firm believer in ducting.

Just be careful of recylcing hot air.

Yeah I am going to closely monitor my temps the first boot to make sure the proxmity of the intake to the psu isn't a problem. If it is I will probably just rig something to vent the psu exhaust away from the intake. I don't think it will be a problem though. I am still pissed with myself that I didnt check the size of the fan I'll be using for intake as its 12mm larger than the ducting. If I need to I'll just use a bit of electrical tape to make it sealed.

Is there anyway for you to cut sheet metal or plastic. because you could cut a hole in the sheet metal (top left corner of side cover) install a filter screen to it, then mount your ducting to the inside horizontal case frame (make it so it's not attached to the door)

That sure looks like the Antec P160 in the photos! :) Try mounting your sata drives backwards, it works wonders for cable management (if you don't swap drives often). :D

Is there anyway for you to cut sheet metal or plastic. because you could cut a hole in the sheet metal (top left corner of side cover) install a filter screen to it, then mount your ducting to the inside horizontal case frame (make it so it's not attached to the door)

LOL no I won't be cutting anything. I'll be fine. The psu exhaust isn't really too hot and cools off really quick for some reason. I think I'll be fine.

Good ideas in this thread. I'll be folllowing this thread closely for results, as I have an 80mm fan on the side of my case right above the CPU/RAM.

I took Fast Hot Rod's advice and turned my exhaust fans in for positive case pressure, and now have a 120mm and 80mm blowing over my RAM/CPU. We're talking a 3-5C degree difference in idle/load temps. At 2.62ghz, 1.575v, 1:1 ratio, my CPU/PWMIC was wavering at 39-40C under full load! A temp difference of about 10C on the PWMIC and 7-8C on the CPU. Still stock HSF!

So, do it up, SanguineI. I'm excitied to see the results.

That sure looks like the Antec P160 in the photos! :) Try mounting your sata drives backwards, it works wonders for cable management (if you don't swap drives often). :D

Yup, you nailed it! It's the best case I have ever owned. Period. I like the front USB/Firewire/audio ports and temperature readouts. Very slick, and fits in my computer desk quite nicely. (I'll post a picture when I am done setting the OC on my MB.) The intake filter is a nice touch, and I added a side window to look in at my equipment. (After PASSING on the case that had the window already installed. DOOPT!)

When making changes to the BIOS (overclocking) on the NF3 Ultra-D, I have to unlpug my SATA drives from the motherboard, of the BIOS gorfs. (Common problem with the MB.) I am currently running a beta bios (C19) that has been rock solid for the most part... but I can't get past 245 fsb for some reason. I may go back to a different BIOS that has higher clockability, but for now I am having too much fun! :nod:

Which leads to the reason I have my drives mounted the way I do: I need to access the SATA plugs on the drives, as my Big Typhoon makes that dang near impossible!

Sounds like you know a little about the case... I assume you have one? Best regards.

Mark

It seems like all the hot air in my case gets sucked out right away by my 120mm exhaust fan before it can rise to go through the PSU and my 2 80mm exhaust fans (1 of which will be intake soon). EDIT FOR LENGTH...

I guess since all my hot components are low in my case and all my low/no heat components are high, almost all the hot air is gone before it can rise high enough to be drawn out by my 2 80s. BEAT THAT THERMODYNAMICS! :cool:

Yea! Take that! :shake: You are correct with your assessment. The 120 mm fans are moving quite a bit of air... and taking the heat with it. I think I am confused with the placement of your 80 mm fans. Are they both mounted on the backplane, or is one on the back and one on top? Do you have any other pictures available?

I really like your layout, Fast Hot Rod. I always have problems with unused psu cables getting in the way. Right now I've made it so that only the necessary cables go below the top section of my case where all my components are. Unfortunately, the rest of the cables are stuffed in the railing that separates top from bottom so its kind of a mess. I'm going to end up having to figure out what to do with all that crap once my duct comes, because it has to go through there. Its times like these that make me wish I would have done the smart thing and got one of those new fangled modular power supplies!

My PSU is not a modular one. It's a 500w Thermaltake but has some cable management built in... I just tucked the remaining cables in the unused CD/DVD drive area or above my PSU.

If you are interested, I can point you in the right direction for turning your PSU into a semi-modular one. (With the exception of the MB plug... too many wires to play with unless you really know what you are doing.)

The Molex connectors (power connections) can be purchased easily, and all you need is a pin extractor (or a small screwdriver) to take the pins out of the plug. You can easily modify the length of your cables and run them in loom for better airflow management. Just strip the wire and and you can crimp on new terminals, and just push them back into the Molex connector for a custom fit.

Let me know if you are interested, and I'll see what I can come up with.

Mark