Sign in to follow this  
lazer_viking

installed a DFI lanparty.. trouble!!

i already have a thread over @ http://tech-forums.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=105074 that has my entire problem. you can probably skip to the 2nd page which has my most current problem. you can reply here though, dont make an account on tech-forums if you dont already have one.

posted it here since my mobo is a DFI and this forum gets more publicity anyway. any input is appreciate, thanks!

That post is hard to follow.

First: IS your board an SLI-DR and Ultra-D or an SLI-DR Expert? In your post it said you missed the 8 pin connector so I will assume it is an Expert. There is also another floppy type connector above the first PCI-E slot.

Have you tried with minimal install, 1 vid card 1 stick of memory in the Orange slot furthest from the CPU so you can get into the bios and set things up?

what do i do if i boot it up? do you press delete once you see lanparty's splash screen? i got it to boot up using minimal settings and it went into windows (i didnt want it to... wanted to go into bios) and it shut off again after windows detected new hardware. i didnt mess with anything in windows (and im suprised after reading the stuff i read that windows loaded, was expecting to reinstall my OS.)

and yes, i dont know why my sig say ultra-D (what was i thinking??? ill change it) yes it is an expert.

edit: i tried to boot it up again and now the same things happened and i didnt mess with, touch, or even LOOK AT any hardware inside my computer. worked once, shut down, and doesn't start back up like it did once last night.

if there is any additional information you need to know, ill be happy to help. my dad says it may have something to do with some cables he plugged in labeled PWR LED, HDD LED, and some other things he cant remember but he says something about not being sure about polarity or something. he often times doesnt know what hes talking about tho but he wanted me to add it.

Have you tried a CMOS clear, then booting up with minimal components? 1 stick of RAM, 1 Vid card, CPU?

yes, i tried one stick of ram, one vid card, and a cpu and it ALWAYS works if i do i cmos clear. my problem is at random points once i load windows it just shuts off. its stable in the BIOS, i've gotton it to run 10+ minutes there but once in windows poof. shuts off and i cant get it to detect RAM until i do a cmos clear (meaning three diagnostic LEDs light up on the mobo) . could this be that the CPU is overheating and the motherboard shuts it down automatically?

Windows will shut down or retart sometimes when it encounters errors.

You will have to reinstall the OS. Windows will VERY rarely work from one system to another without being reinstalled. Sometimes you can get away with a Windows repair but I wouldn't count on it. If there is data you want to save on the HDD you might try the repair, save data & then reinstall to ensure stability.

Delete will get you into the bios. Tap it a few times when you see the Splash screen. I take it you have yet to see the bios options that are available on the expert. One of the problems is the board will default to timings tighter than the Value Ram can run at so you will manually configure these timings to get that memory to run. There will be alot more in there than you are used to seeing. I'll throw some timings up here that should at least get you stable and as you learn we can start to work with them for speed.

These timings can be found under Genie Bios, then go to DRAM config. Also the last option under genie bios is memtest86, enable it and let it run for an hour or two after you set these timings. If it is stable I would reinstall windows at that point.

DRAM Frequency Set - 166

Command Per Clock (CPC) - Disable

CAS Latency Control (Tcl) - 3.0

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) - 04 Bus Clocks

Min RAS# active time (Tras) - 08 Bus Clocks

Row precharge time (Trp) - 04 Bus Clocks

Row Cycle time (Trc) - 14 Bus Clocks

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) - 17 Bus Clocks

Row to Row delay (Trrd) - 03 Bus Clocks

Write recovery time (Twr) - 03 Bus Clocks

Write to Read delay (Twtr) - 02 Bus Clocks

Read to Write delay (Trwt) - 03 Bus Clocks

Refresh Period (Tref) - 3120Cycles

Write CAS Latency (Twcl) - Auto

DRAM Bank Interleave - Enabled

DQS Skew Control - Auto

DQS Skew Value - 0

DRAM Drive Strength - Auto

DRAM Data Drive Strength - Auto

Max Async Latency - Auto

Read Preamble Time - Auto

IdleCycle Limit - 256 Cycles

Dynamic Counter - Disable

R/W Queue Bypass - 16 x

Bypass Max - 07 x

32 Byte Granularity Disabled

okay i found my OS disc, and i want to try repair before i format but how do i use windows repair? first question is: Which windows installation would you like to log onto? 2nd is: enter administrator's password. and then it just says

like a command prompt. i dont know how to use command prompts does anyone know how to repair windows?

have you got another machine running plug the hd into that set as slave then you can copy all your data to another drive you'll lose your settings etc but at least your important stuff will be ok then format and do a fresh install after you get you board stable but i think if you get your board stable you can also go in using safe mode press f8 i think(someone correct me if i'm wrong) limited drivers etc.. again you can save you data the see if you want to repair or reinstall i'd reinstall new board and all.

i do a fresh install every 6 months or so keeps it nice and fast