5" lcd case mod

Guest YuKoN_merged

Guest YuKoN

I just picked up one of these for $38 shipped(thank you ebay!):

just a link to same product

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=tdlp-50

I figure it ought to be pretty easy to hook up- has rca and s-vid inputs. I plan to just monitor my temps and stuff with it so the low res(960x234) isn't a big deal. I'll have to figure out just where to put it once it arrives and I get it torn apart. I might mount it right into the plexi of my side panel, or possibly into the 2 empty drive bays I'm not using, but I did have plans to add a drive or 2 in the future so in the plexi may be better.

What do you guys think? I know many of you have done similar mod- and I've been eyeballing those threads with envy lol-

I figure it ought to be pretty easy to hook up- has rca and s-vid inputs. I plan to just monitor my temps and stuff with it so the low res(960x234) isn't a big deal.

What do you guys think? I know many of you have done similar mod- and I've been eyeballing those threads with envy lol-

That monitor will (probably) only be able to produce a screen image of 640X480 interlaced using the S-video or component inputs. (RCA style jacks.) That's standard definition (SDTV) for the most part, called 480i in the video world. I still think it's a cool idea, but I don't know if it will do what you expected it to do for you. (A screen that size at that resolution may be hard to see...)

I have been looking at video monitors that have VGA style inputs. There are a lot that have 800x600, 1024x768 and upwards of 1600x1200 and touch screen if you really want that. :drool:

Good luck with your project! Post some pictures with your results. :cool:

Mark

Guest YuKoN

yeah- maybe so. I've been searching the web- and have seen many casemods using a similar screen. One was a PS1 portable monitor, and it still looked pretty damn cool. good enough to put up your temp monitoring program such as mbm or smartguardian, or your winamp player to see tracks while gaming or whatever. I didn't expect to be watching movies on it or anything.

I'll post some pics of my rig after- that'll be a first- I haven't taken any pics of it thus far. It's a good looking rig, IMHO. Many are fancier, and a whole lot are more expensive, but I like my Raidmax X1 case. That little monitor will look pretty cool and at the price can't be beat. Also the ease of installation.........

I've also seen alot of higher res and touch-screen monitors, but they're a whole lot more money, and touch screen or laptop series tft's require an additional controller card (from what I've read). I'd be willing to try it, except the cards go for around 200 bucks. just a little too high end if you know what i mean lol.

Hell yea! You can't beat it for what you paid for it! :cool:

I would love to have my temps on a screen close to my case... or even a killer app that shows my X-Fire friends or something! Get busy and post some pictures, bro! ;)

Mark

I have this magical device that lets me put AIM/ICQ/whatever, winamp, MBM5, as well as all my photoshop/illustrator/dreamweaver palettes... It's called a second monitor. =-0

Actually, I've always wanted to try an LCD mod.

Good luck mate, and post some pics so we can see!

That's a really good price on a small lcd screen. :nod: I have a 6.5 inch and loved it until I went SLi, now it's pretty much usless, since SLi will not support dual monitors... :confused: I did a cheap mod with the mounting bracet supplied with my screen... I found 400x300 will show MBMlog's graph very well. http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52060

Hurry up an post some pics... :shake:

It's not that big of a deal to switch between SLi and DualView... It's just a few clicks.

Yea... and I'm sure there is some kind of hotkey combo for "nview" or something that would make it almost easy, but, I only want to check temps during games or video benches when I am using SLi... :confused: Looks like a catch 22 to me. O, well, it was cool for a few weeks... :nod:

I've tried to get the settings to work so I could easily change desktops, but I've only been met by problems. I set it to dualview in non SLi mode and saved the desktop, and I set it to SLi and saved that desktop. But when switching from one to the other it just goes black and I have to reboot to safemode and readjust settings. I dont think the NView desktop manager will turn on or off SLi.

I've tried to get the settings to work so I could easily change desktops, but I've only been met by problems. I set it to dualview in non SLi mode and saved the desktop, and I set it to SLi and saved that desktop. But when switching from one to the other it just goes black and I have to reboot to safemode and readjust settings. I dont think the NView desktop manager will turn on or off SLi.

Figures... That's what I was worried about. It IS a cool mod, if you are not planning to go SLi.

I wa going to see how many monitors you can run with both cards not in SLi... I would think 6, 2x S Video and 4xDVI. :nod: but then, what would I put on all the screens? :rolleyes: