Killing Video Cards?

Well...I'm about to RMA my video card for the 3rd time...

Symptoms -

Fresh card...everything fine for awhile...after a few months of regular use PC requires Power ON-Power OFF-Power ON sequence to initialize video output to monitor (monitor works 100% of the time on other PCs)...few months of that and the PC just won't get through startup (hangs at last diag. LED)...swap in a new card, good to go

First card I blamed on myself for Overclocking (RMA GPU)

Second card (didn't overclock) I blamed my Power Supply (RMA'd GPU+PS)

Third card is now dead and I need to RMA it, but I'm looking for a patsy here...I'm sure BFG is getting mad at me...

Could it be my motherboard? Is there something else I should look at? First 2 cards I used an NV Silencer HSF, 3rd card I've left bone stock.

Please begin the inquisition of questions and suggestions to which I will most likely reply "Did that already" however, 99 cent cheeseburgers on me if anyone can come up with a reasonable suggestion that I haven't tried yet!

Well...I'm about to RMA my video card for the 3rd time...

Symptoms -

Fresh card...everything fine for awhile...after a few months of regular use PC requires Power ON-Power OFF-Power ON sequence to initialize video output to monitor (monitor works 100% of the time on other PCs)...few months of that and the PC just won't get through startup (hangs at last diag. LED)...swap in a new card, good to go

First card I blamed on myself for Overclocking (RMA GPU)

Second card (didn't overclock) I blamed my Power Supply (RMA'd GPU+PS)

Third card is now dead and I need to RMA it, but I'm looking for a patsy here...I'm sure BFG is getting mad at me...

Could it be my motherboard? Is there something else I should look at? First 2 cards I used an NV Silencer HSF, 3rd card I've left bone stock.

Please begin the inquisition of questions and suggestions to which I will most likely reply "Did that already" however, 99 cent cheeseburgers on me if anyone can come up with a reasonable suggestion that I haven't tried yet!

Have anything that would abstruct the airflow to the VGA card? Is your computer going through a UPS surge protector? Hows your case temps been? Is power connector from the PSU going directly to the VGA card? Hows your voltage rails been? Are you operating the PCIe bus at 100mhz? I would hate to hear that a peripheral is disrupting the power grid then that would be a long trail-error. Whats the GPU temps been?

So you've been RMAing the same card (6800GS) over three times now? Sounds like there is certainly something fishy going on with your system. Your motherboard properly grounded? Have you tried setting up your motherboard on a work bench out of the case with the CPU, RAM, Video Card installed only? Have you checked each serial number of the 6800GS you've sent to BFG incase they just return the same card over and over with a quick fix somehow?

No free Cheeseburgers yet!

Airflow is supurb and unobstructed through the case

I do run through an ABS UPS (medium size power-strip style, but does the job of cleaning up the input power signal)

Case temps are nominally higher than ambiant (+2 or 3 deg...300cfm through case doesn't give it much time to get very warm)

Not only is power direct to the video card, it's on its own rail with a full 18a to chew on

Rails are steady and well within tolerance (3.3 sits around 3.34, 5 around 5.03, 12 around 12.09)

PCIe bus untouched @ 100mhz

GPU temps in the 50-60c range...rather low actually for 6800 series cards

Yes, identical cards each time, 6800GT though, not GS

Motherboad installed, grounded, secured, tucked in, comfy, and ready for bed

Have benched it with all extras removed (in multiple configurations, i.e. no fans, no optical drives, no drives at all, etc)

And lastly, for this edition of "Already tried that" Theater...I've been checking S/N's and each card has been new