Zalman 9500 & DFI nF4 ultra-d

awol

Just got one, boy is it huge!

My first gripe about it is, with my stock cooler it was idle @ 42C.

With the Zalman + AS5 it is @ 38C idle.

Lowest speed on both fans. However raising it to full on the zalman only produce 1-2C cooler.

My second gripe is I can twist the fan and it moves! It's definitely not going to fall of nor move on it's on but I am still able to put a tiny bit of force to it and move it,despite me screwing it as tight as it would go.

Now I know AS5 takes a few days to really break-in, but I know that will only constitute maybe 2C more cool. I am very disappointed I was expecting more difference from the Zalman compared to the stock AMD fan. Both were just as quiet, and 4-5C different doesn't seem worth the 60$ price tag.

So did I do something wrong here?!

It sounds like you don't have it seated correctly. Re-seat it and re-apply a pea sized dot of AS5 and spread it over evenly with a credit or gift card. That or you have horrible case temperatures. I have two 120mm case fans in my Antec Super Lanboy and I idle at 27c... 38c load. Also, "down by the river" is not a good answer for location. Please fill this out correctly if you want help from certain people. While you're at it fill out your signature per forum rules with you PSU included. Thanks. :)

It sounds like you don't have it seated correctly. Re-seat it and re-apply a pea sized dot of AS5 and spread it over the surface of the CPU evenly with a credit or gift card. It's either that or you have horrible case cooling which would result in poor CPU temperatures. I have two 120mm case fans in my Antec Super Lanboy and I idle at 27c... 38c load. Also, "down by the river" is not a good answer for your location. Please fill this out correctly if you want help from certain people. While you're at it fill out your signature per forum rules with your PSU included. Thanks. :)

my cpu never gets over 42 C on 80-90 deg days so you've got problems and also i cannot move mine around at all, you must of not installed it correctly. because every one i have seen who has it loves theirs and im one of them :D

I just got one of these yesterday. It wasnt quite as big as i thought it would be since i think most of the time i have seen screenshots with it in peoples cases they have a mid tower whereas i have a full size tower, its still a big cooler though. It replaced my Coolermaster Hyper48 and i must say that im pretty pleased. With the Hyper48 i was idling at 32-33C and at full load 47.5C, now, with the 9500LED, im idling at 29-30C and full load at 41C. Thats with the 165 overclocked to 2.2Ghz. Like the OP said, i can also swivel the cooler when fully seated, not a whole lot...maybe a few millimetres in either direction, its definetly on there correctly though, i read the instructions a few times after i discovered this.

To the OP. I would probably guess that either you put too much, or not enough AS5 in between. That along with it possibly not being seated properly. Are you sure that S-bracket (the one you use to fasten the cooler down) is oriented the right way? The 1st time i attached it i didnt read any of the instructions and made a stupid mistake by putting it on so it bows down, instead of bowing up to get maximum pressure in the centre.

what is the ambient temp inside your case? the HSF will never get your CPU cooler than that and you may not have adequate airflow in your case to keep everything cool.

yeah, after i first put mine on it i could swivel it also. but i am sure after the AS5 cures you wont be able to. i haven't tried mine, but my previous experience with trying to remove a heatsink with cured AS5 would lead me to believe you wont be

able to swivel it then unless you apply some force (thus breaking the cured AS5).