How to remove CPU fan?

Guest munan_merged

Guest munan

Hi:

How to I remove the fan from my heatsink. I remember it snapping on at one time but now it is time to remove to clean the dust. Do I just pry it off?

Thankx

MuNaN

Guest munan
Yeah, just take a crow bar to it, JK don't do that.

What kind of cooler is it? isn't the fan actually screwed onto the heat sink?

It is the stock cooler - no screws..

fanremove.jpg

If you want to clean the dust off the fan, just unscrew the 4 screws located ontop of the fan. If you want to remove the whole heatsink and you used the pre-applied thermal compound that came with it, first use a hairdryer to heat up the heatsink (watch out it will get HOT), then carefully take it out and clean it from dust. If you do that will need new thermal compound and then I'd recommend Artic Silver 5.

Guest munan
That fan IS held on by screws, you must mean the whole cooler.

Sorry - The fan is NOT held on by screws. It snapped onto the heatsink.

fanremove2.jpg

How do I remove?

Thanks.

MuNaN

Sorry - The fan is NOT held on by screws. It snapped onto the heatsink.

This is a stock AMD cooler and it wasn't assembled when you got it?

These are not screws?

fanremove.jpg

I am confused do you mean the heat sink or the fan itself?

fan2.jpg

Guest munan
These are not screws?

fanremove.jpg

I am confused do you mean the heat sink or the fan itself?

fan2.jpg

Where you have the 4 circles where you think there should be screws, are NOT screws. The heatsink had 4 plastic thingies sticking up from it before the fan was put on. I remember my buddy snapping the fan onto the heatsink.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think the 3500 Venice came with the same HS as the 3200. This is the documentationt that came with the CPU/HS;

DSCF1975.jpg

Nowhere does it state that the Fan has to be mounted onto the HS. And you know it would have some stupid picture with the fan floating above the HS with arrows lining up the screw holes/clips, if it had to be assembled first.

I even took my wifes PC apart to show you that the HS uses screws, as I replaced the original ones with the ones in the picture;

DSCF1979.jpg

Guest munan

yea - nowhere in my doumation does it talk about that. I have taken another picture as close as I can get. You see the black plastic in there holding the fan. The fan snapped on. There is no screws.

fanremove3.jpg

Weird, I would remove the whole heat sink, and try to pop those pins out, maybe even drill them out if you have to. While you're at it you might as well replace the fan with a higher cfm one if you have one laying around. Then use screws to thread the holes where the pins were and screw the fan on it.