Sign in to follow this  
Rike

Before I RMA . . . have I missed something?

..as others posted, may be a BIOS update is needed, you may have got a bad flash on your hands? give it try!

No POST = No BIOS update

I've never been able to flash this board.

No, I'm done with this board. I've been at this for a month. RMA help please.

Guest Spartacus
I'm going to assume you're just messing with me or just being silly. :nod: I'll have to remember that one to use on N00bs I really don't like. I can just see it now . . .

Rike: Watch out, your ANTI-STATIC bag your expensive electronic components came wrapped in is actually ELECTRICALLY CONDUCTIVE!

N00b: Really? OK, I’ll be careful.

Rike: Also, remember to shuffle feet on the carpet while wearing big bunny slippers and then touch your motherboard. The more times you spark your motherboard, the faster your computer will be when you’re done building it.

N00b: Wow! Thanks for the tips.

Rike: No problem. I just like helping. :D

staffypup is absolutely correct.

Do not run the board on the anti-static bag!

The bags are designed to be conductive like a faraday cage. They isolate external electrical fields from the (unpowered) board inside. The inside of the bags are generally not conductive, just the outside.

More reading if you need proof:

Static-shielding products

-Bags: The earliest static-shielding bags were made of a black carbon-loaded Velostats® material. Although effective, they had the major disadvantage of being opaque. Therefore, in 1978, the transparent static-shielding bag was introduced, eliminating the need to open the package to determine the contents.

This bag consisted of an inner layer of antistatic polyethylene to prevent triboelectric charging, a middle layer of polyester film for physical strength and dielectric strength (to block static discharges), and an outer coating of metal for extremely high conductivity (to block voltage fields). The unique feature was the extreme thinness of the metal coating, which made the bag transparent.

The transparent static-shielding bag has become the standard of the industry for protective packaging and transport of static-sensitive components. The same technology is also now available in bags with single-track recloseable features and with built-in cushioning for added physical protection.

http://www.3m.com/market/electronic/ehpd/t...article03.jhtml

staffypup is absolutely correct.

Do not run the board on the anti-static bag!

The bags are designed to be conductive like a faraday cage. They isolate external electrical fields from the (unpowered) board inside. The inside of the bags are generally not conductive, just the outside.

More reading if you need proof:

http://www.3m.com/market/electronic/ehpd/t...article03.jhtml

OK, point taken; I don't know everything. However, I can find no evidence that the bag I have is conductive in any way; this assumes that my multi-meter is fully functional, which it seems to be.

In any case, the board has not operated correctly whether the board has been mounted in a case or as described in my first post, with or without the bag.

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Contact/contact_us.js...TYPE=MB&SITE=NA

Either emailing DFI or calling customer support should get you where you need to go.

Thanks for the link. Pursuing RMA now.

Emailed for an RMA number today; Donna replied within 4 hours. I submitted my forms by email after 5:00 PST. I'm hoping for a number tommorrow and to send the thing off.

Edit 5/19/06: Had an RMA # before 9:00am PST today. It's going off via UPS before 5:00pm today. I'll update when the RMAed board returns.

According to UPS, my board arrived late this morning at the DFI docks in Hayward, CA.

I'm interested to see what the turn around time will be before they have it back in the mail to me. According to DFI policy (as I understand it), they now have 10 working days to resolve the issue and send me back something.

I got a new board from DFI this afternoon. I got it on the bench, put in all the parts you see in my sig, and fired it up.

IT LIVES!!!!!!!!! :angel:

Needless to say, I'm happy. I'm Prime95ing the board and parts at stock speeds with defaults settings right now. I want 24 hours with no errors before I'll declare final victory. :D

I have to say that was fast turn around on the RMA. They got it Tues. and I had the board back the following Wed. with a holiday in there as well.

More later.

Guest GripS

24 hours!! 8 hours would be sufficient.

OK, so maybe I'll just let it go overnight. 24 hours stable is my normal test for stable OC, but it will be too warm tomorrow to let it run stressed in a hot garage. I don't want to cook the thing to death. ;)

So today ended up being foggy so I let it run on Prime95 all day.

24 hours, 20 minutes - 0 errors, 0 warnings

VICTORY! :nod:

Ok, so that's a little over the top, but at least I feel good knowing it was just a bad board. I'll see how it OCs later.

I think it's time to change the thread title to [Revolved]. ;) All well that ends well.

P.S. I have to say that once I contacted DFI for the RMA, they were very prompt. I was seriously spooked off DFI by the bad board, but they've won me back with easy, prompt, quality customer service.