Before I RMA . . . have I missed something?

No, but then I'm not sure what Bios I have right now.

Can I update the BIOS without a craptional keyboard? If at any point I need to do anything with the keyboard, especally at the end of the update, my experience so far is that I will not have an operational keyboard.

Is this what you suggest I try?

http://www.dfi.com.tw/Support/mb_faq_us1.j...TYPE=US&SITE=US

I'm concerned about step five. I doubt the keyboard will be working by the time a flash is done.

If the flash fails, then what?

Go into the BIOS as quickly as you can and make sure the halt on errors is disabled and floppy drive as first bootable device. Then this is were you'll need another rig to DL the new DOS-BASED bios, make a bootable floppy disk, and put the updater/ROM on floppy disk. Then just put the floppy in the troubled rig and turn it on. The updating process is automated so you wont need a keyboard to input anything, it will do it on its own and then ask you to restart.

Bios found here

Get the second one.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your bios will show up in the left lower screen on boot. might need to hit tab. There is a pic in the stickies. Flashing per floppy should work you can also dance on the insert button to get the failfafe settings.

What other memory/PSU did you test out with? Unfortunatly a big chunk of the older stuff is not compatabe. Test out the PSU with a multi meter?

Cliff notes at the end of this post for those with short attention spans. ;)

Go into the BIOS as quickly as you can and make sure the halt on errors is disabled and floppy drive as first bootable device. Then this is were you'll need another rig to DL the new DOS-BASED bios, make a bootable floppy disk, and put the updater/ROM on floppy disk. Then just put the floppy in the troubled rig and turn it on. The updating process is automated so you wont need a keyboard to input anything, it will do it on its own and then ask you to restart.

Bios found here

Get the second one.

Ok, I'll give it a run, but if I can't restart using the keyboard at the end of the BIOS flash, is my mobo FUBAR?

Your bios will show up in the left lower screen on boot. might need to hit tab. There is a pic in the stickies. Flashing per floppy should work you can also dance on the insert button to get the failfafe settings.

What other memory/PSU did you test out with? Unfortunatly a big chunk of the older stuff is not compatabe. Test out the PSU with a multi meter?

I’ll double check the BIOS version when I try the floppy auto flash.

On the PSU’s, the Antec 550 is new and clean as far as output (yes, multi-meter tested).. I also tried a new Seasonic 380 that has rock solid rails. It should have plenty of power to run a striped down board. (It’s for a different build, I’m doing but it doesn’t have to be delivered until Saturday.) I have some OZC value RAM (link) that I could try. I also have Patriot RAM in my main system (link) that I give a go too. All that said, there’s nothing wrong with the Corsair. I just Prime95’ed 26 hours straight.

how did u clear the cmos.. did you move the jumper to clear cmos or did you do it like the book said.. book didnt work for me either but this way did....

this is how I had to clear mine and then it worked..

Yup, been there, done that so many times I hardly need to look at the instructions any more. It hasn’t helped except to get me to the point were I can POST again. Then I run through the whole drill again.

Cliff Notes:

1. Will try auto BIOS flash if someone will confirm my board won’t be a fancy extra parts holder if the keyboard won’t work at the end of the flash.

2. PSU is good, CPU good, memory good, vid card good. Mobo is highly uncooperative. Will still try even more known stable parts in an effort to get board to run. (Should a good board really be this temperamental?)

3. I’ve had dreams about endlessly running through FULL CMOS clears. It’s become like a mantra I chant to excise evil spirits. But it doesn’t work!

I'll post again after I try the BIOS flash. If that has no effect, I will pursue the RMA from DFI.

>Basics: The board is sitting on its bag, on its box, on my work bench.

That wouldn't be the transparent black plastic one of course. Would it?

It would.

I've never measured it, but I'm pretty sure that bag is ELECTRICALLY CONDUCTIVE.

Could be wrong, though.

I'm going to assume you're just messing with me or just being silly. :nod: I'll have to remember that one to use on N00bs I really don't like. I can just see it now . . .

Rike: Watch out, your ANTI-STATIC bag your expensive electronic components came wrapped in is actually ELECTRICALLY CONDUCTIVE!

N00b: Really? OK, I’ll be careful.

Rike: Also, remember to shuffle feet on the carpet while wearing big bunny slippers and then touch your motherboard. The more times you spark your motherboard, the faster your computer will be when you’re done building it.

N00b: Wow! Thanks for the tips.

Rike: No problem. I just like helping. :D

On topic, I haven't been able to get to that BIOS update yet. Too many other things going on. I should be able to update Wed night.

Just to answer you on a question:

You don't need the keyboard to "press F1 to restart" after the flash is done.

In fact, I believe that if you add a "/" switch (I think it is something like "r/" or whatever...) when you start the flash it will automatically reboot the computer. So the F1 step is basically for those too lazy to press reset.

So as long as you can start the flash procedure, and assuming your computer doesn't hang itself by its neck mid-flash, you should be okay. Also, if the flash fails for some reason I guess you could always order a BIOS-chip or hotflash a chip with the proper BIOS in another rig, if you have the availability of course (and want to be really really sure before you RMA). :)

And I hope that bag isn't electrically conductive. Sounds like a bad idea to me... ;)

Good luck to ya anyways. I haven't had a single problem with my Ultra-D so I do hope you can get this sorted and discover what a nice board it is (supposed to be). :)

Just to answer you on a question:

You don't need the keyboard to "press F1 to restart" after the flash is done.

In fact, I believe that if you add a "/" switch (I think it is something like "r/" or whatever...) when you start the flash it will automatically reboot the computer. So the F1 step is basically for those too lazy to press reset.

So as long as you can start the flash procedure, and assuming your computer doesn't hang itself by its neck mid-flash, you should be okay. Also, if the flash fails for some reason I guess you could always order a BIOS-chip or hotflash a chip with the proper BIOS in another rig, if you have the availability of course (and want to be really really sure before you RMA). :)

And I hope that bag isn't electrically conductive. Sounds like a bad idea to me... ;)

Good luck to ya anyways. I haven't had a single problem with my Ultra-D so I do hope you can get this sorted and discover what a nice board it is (supposed to be). :)

Thanks for the info.

And don't worry the bag. If DFI packaged their products in conductive bags, you and I never would be having this conversation because everyone in the world would say "DFI who?".

You know what the worst thing is, this isn't even a rig for me! It's for my brother-in-law (wife's bro) who's also a good friend. He's been really understanding about the whole thing, but I kind of feel like a chump after sagely telling him "I'll get you the one of best mobo's out there!" I guess the odds finally caught up to me. After a 100+ parts, one of them had to be DOA (or seem to be).