Sign in to follow this  
chewy110

Additional HDD now windows won't boot!

Just added the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 300GB yesterday. It was found in bios and i partitioned / formatted it etc and it showed as drive "F". Fine i thought, everything works and i'll only be using it for storage at first. (maybe duel boot later.......)

Next day and windows won't boot. Flies through bios etc and just hangs at splash screen. Had it on all night downloading gilmore girls, for the wife of course (bitcomet).

Now i was thinking power but 600W should be fine eh!??!?

Both SATA II drives using SATA power conectors from PSU and using SATA slots 1 and 3 on MB.

I've unplugged it from SATA 3 on the MB and removed power to it and windows boots fine, no problems.

Any thoughts?

And because i used system restore to go back to a previous state i had to reinstall WOW from scratch because the patch i installed that day went tits up! AAAAGGGGHHHHH!

Did you check which hdd drive is set as the boot drive in the bios?

Same happened to me too... just had to make sure the system will start from the windows drive.

ah ok, funny how its easy to miss the simple things eh.

i'll have another look at it in the morning when i get home from work.

so in the bios, i should be able to check the settings so that its set for windows to be booted from a perticular hdd.

its weird as it worked a couple of times with no problems at all. then all of a sudden it freezes at the splash screen..........................

well its not a guarantee ;)

but it helped in my case, because the order of hdd drives changed and windows was set to the wrong drive.

if you ask me there is a serious glitch in the bios.

the SATA ports labeled 0 and 1 are recognized BY WINDOWS as 3rd and 4th drive, port 2 and 3 as 1st and 2nd.

So when I connected a single drive to port 1 Windows had no problem but after connecting 2 more drives to port 1 and 2 suddenly Windows thought port 3 should be the first drive and found no Windows there of course!

ok so you talking about ports being labelled on the MB or in the bios.

My MB lables them 1 - 4 and i currently have my windows bootable HD in 1 and had the new HD in 3.

I'll put the new HD back in 2 and check the bios settings to ensure its trying to boot from 1 first (Old HD).

Hey maybe i should put them in 3 and 4 then!