Does this sound like a good idea?

So... I got Corsair Value RAM lying around... 2x 1gig. The timings are 3-3-8-11. I think... but anyways. I just found out, that it is a BH-5 module.

Would it work if I slapped a heatspreader on there and tried to overclock the bejesus out of it, even though its Value RAM?

Does the value RAM even make a difference because its BH-5?

Did you mean 2 X 512? You won't find BH5 on 2 x 1024. If they truly are bh5 throw them in and try running 2 2 5 2 200FSB w/ 2.9 volts. Won't need spreaders and it will give you an idea if they are players or not. Not all BH5 was great at holding tight timings or clocking well.

Guest Blooz1

What are the markings on the chips? That'll tell the tale!

Guest Timmay

Just a quick question, why don't you find 2 x 1024 BH-5 modules?

Okay... update... This is what is on the RAM...

Label: Corsair ValueSelect: VS1GB400C3

Then there is a barcode, then 2791-0549005-1-4444116

On each individual RAM module, this is what it says:

ValueSelect: 64M8BDC, then a indent and IN1100547, then on the bottom of each individual module it says mtea2633g1

The modules do not say Winbond. Does this mean it is not BH-5 or does it mean that Corsair relabeled them?

Awesome... right now they are in my parent's computer, I'm running the RAM in my Sig. If they truly are BH-5, what RAM should I keep?

EDIT: The OCZ Ram I have running is definitely TCCD. I need to edit my sig.

BE CAREFUL IF YOU OVERCLOCK CORSAIR VALUE RAM

I had a 1gb module, and I tried to overclock it from 200mhz to 207mhz, or something tiny like that. As soon as I did that my Windows file corrupted and I had to reformat my partition which was a pain in the butt.

Make sure you test them really thoroughly in memtest86, so if they screw up at some pathetic oc, then at least you won't corrupt anything.

I'm not saying don't do it, but make sure you are careful about it.

As a consequence I ordered the g-skill sticks in my sig, sold my value ram, and I am happy.

Wait a second... I just thought of something. The way I test if it is BH-5 RAM is that I take it to 2.9 Volts right... but what if... my motherboard was misreading the RAM and it actually wasn't BH-5 RAM.

Wouldn't I fry my RAM modules completely!?!