Sign in to follow this  
lip008

Which mem slots to use for dual channel mode???

Does it matter which ram slots are used? I have two 1gb sticks of ram and would obviously like to run them in dual channel mode.

Some have better overclocking potential with the yellow and some with orange. Try both and see which one works for you. I have my memory kit (Same exact ones you have) in Orange slots.

So it doesn't matter where the memory is plugged in? Yellow or orange or a mixture, it will always run in dual channel mode?

From what I hear, orange slots are more compatible, and yellow sticks are better for high volts (VX). Don't know if this is true.

Try getting it to simply work first. I can't even get my dual channel kit to boot in dual channel mode.

When I had my Expert it definately prefered the Orange slots.

Now that I switched to a Venus board (identical at first glance) and 2 x 1Gb sticks of new Crucial DDR-550 (not yet stressed or OCed), I am suprised to find ether Orange or Yellow work as well (so far).

As I keep reading here, so many things seem to be "luck-of-the draw".

Not a bad thing at all, but it DOES require us to go through a lengthy trial-and error (lots of error) to find out what works for our particular "stuff".

You and I could have bought EXACTLY the same components - at the same store - at the same time - and with consecutive serial numbers from the same lot ...

And discovered that we had two different computers that required different settings to work there best.

I should have known this from long ago.

Some guy bought a Intel 2.4 Northwoods based Dell for a friend.

He tried the chip in his OC rig and lo-and-behold ... he nailed 3.4 on stock air, volts everything.

This was the first OMG chip (that I'm aware of) and posted an hour later on a forum while I was reading.

Yea, you got it.

I immeadately called Dell and ordered the same PC.

Yes, I got the same stepping and week of production.

And No, the thing wouldn't come close to what that other guys would.

A good chip - sure, but no OMG chip ether. :shake:

I still have the chip, and learned a lot from the experience.

I guess what all this is about is just read the manuals and guides and try ... try ... try ... try ... try ... try ... try ... try ...

Then repeat as necessary! :sweat:

I was just wondering how you know if it's in dual channel mode. I don't know if my issue is related to RAM or not. When my ram is running at factory speeds I can't get through a encode of a DVD using Shrink or a game of AoEIII without a system freeze. Can run prime stable on both cores at same time for days with FSB set at 250....Changing the affinity and using Shrink/AoEIII on one core with FSB of 250 is flawless. Kicking in both cores causes the freeze. Temps are 31/42 idle/load. Have changed LTD ratio from auto to 4x and then 3x with same results. Have adjusted cpu volts up to 1.4 and at 104%. I don't want to increase to 1.5+ but may try to see if I can get through a Shrink encode. Like i said DVD Shrink causes the lockup, it tears through prime for as long as I want...Grasping at straws....

FYI, I always run Memtest even before I install the OS.

New sticks of RAM..

1) 1 stick in OJ. 8 hrs of stock settings, or just [email protected]$$ timings like 3-3-3

2) Try the 2nd stick and give it 8 hrs of memtest. Oh yea, run tests 5 or 8 or both

3) Try both sticks in OJ, [email protected]$$ timings again

4) Now burn in. My VX sticks did 2-2-2-5 @ 250,... just do wahtever they're rated for. Both sticks in OJ and run it for 24 hrs.

5) Still no errors? Go back to stock. VX is 2-3-2-8? Install Windows.

If you want to wait before installing windows (my recommendation), play aorund until you know what voltage is good for what speed.