XP home SP1 install hangs after first reboot (green loading bar)

gil_grissom

Well the title pretty much sums up my problem. I've tried using different configs of my ram (one stick at a time though).... tried using SATA 1-4 ports... currently using port 5 with BIOS setting changed from SATA Raid 0, +1, -1 to SATA.

I have no idea what to do.... I'm getting a new PSU (520W OCZ modstream) and a cheap IDE 80Gb HDD to see if it installs ok on that one. I've restored to optimized settings, cleared CMOS.... I have the latest bios. HDD came up ok on diagnostic disk.. but writing zero's and nuking often hangs before completion.

Anyone had the same problem... or any suggestions please tell.

Oh, I used the F5 function to make sure I was using the recommended ACPI multiprocessor option.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have all the power cables connected to the motherboard? Yeah, try a different PSU, that one is not so good to begin with. Have you used MEMTEST86 before? It should be enabled in your Bios to check if you have any errors with your memory modules. Try those....

It's not in my bios... I have the latest official one from DFI's website, but memtest itsn't in it... unless I missed it. What menu is it under???

Yeah the PSU is good in its specs but it's rubbish when it comes down to it. Strongly recommend AGAINST ASPIRE PSU's... lol.

But PSU shouldn't be causing this problem... and if it is it'll be resolved in a few days anyhow.

Oh, I have 24 pin connector... 4 pin connector..... and floppy connected by PCI-E port.... all three plugged in yes.

Thanks for the speedy reply btw :)

ok --- maybe just that board, ive not used a 200 CF before so i dont know. someone with your board will be able to tell you for sure but if the manual says three then three it is.

i,m tellin you, im gonna be so happy when this things resolved lol.

hope your new PSU is gonna be good. i tell you what tho. install your PSU first, before using that new IDE HDD. then retry without changing anything else. so we know if the prob is the PSU or the HDD. do you get me?

so if when you have changed the psu the sata drive doesnt work, then you plug in the ide hdd and if it works, wooharr.!!!! party time. we know the issue is the HDD or the sata controller. so then, RMA sata HDD and when new one comes, try that, if it works cool. it was HDD -- if not, its the sata controller and we troubleshoot some more. :nod:

Yeah. I'll install PSU first... and I really hope it works. :)... if not and the new HDD doesn't work either then I'll RMA the motherboard and see if new one works. The PSU was supposed to come today (ordered next day priority shipping) but they still haven't dispatched it.... still charged for delivery by today though... grrrr.