"Cloaking Device" Might Actually Work?

Guest Blooz1_merged

Guest Blooz1

Two mathematicians claim to have proven that it would be possible to build a working "cloaking device" as used on "Star Trek";

BBC Article

Don't let the Pentagon see this!

I’ll believe a photon of light can be reversed and become invisible when I see it. :)

Reversing light is not the same as a reflection, that light is still traveling forward.

A much simpler way to achieve invisibility would be to cover an object or person in a thin display with embedded cameras, sorta like the displays Apple is currently trying to patent. A processor would constantly photograph one side of the object and display that image on the opposite surface. I saw something about this in a magazine a long time ago

A much simpler way to achieve invisibility would be to cover an object or person in a thin display with embedded cameras, sorta like the displays Apple is currently trying to patent. A processor would constantly photograph one side of the object and display that image on the opposite surface. I saw something about this in a magazine a long time ago

If I am not mistaken this visual effect would look something like active camoflage from Ghost In the Shell or Halo. There's no way it would be perfectly invisible and you would still cast a shadow, and it would look pretty odd in some lighting/environments.

Its funny how every article that trys to get your attention says something like "bridging the gap between reality and science fiction". I swear I hear this statement like 20 times an hour on the Discovery channel, and it's in almost every issue of every science magazine. It's kind of ridiculous how sensationalized even the dumbest things are in this type of publication... It's like "A war will be waged the likes of which the earth has never seen, tune in at 9, 8 central to watch the live coverage of these two ant colonies as they rape and pillage eachother" or "watch what might happen if a volcano erupted in the year 2006, we won't give you the real science behind it but we will give you crappy digital renderings of how we think it will look". I'd rather have my science stuff be boring/informational than try to appeal to the normal media format... the one that is simply all about making money. RAWR.... (this is why i stopped watching tv).

and now back to the topic...

a real cloaking device would be sweet. but think about what would happen if george bush found out....

Guest Blooz1

I'll agree with ya on that one, Cronocrash!

Just tonight I was watching that ABC show about inventors, and they had a zillion ads for a show they're going to have on next week about what would happen if there really WAS a "Bird Flu" pandemic here in the USA!

Just what this country needs - some dumb show to scare the crap out of people! I remember the hysteria that went around a few years ago with the "anthrax" and the mail. I worked with people at the time who were afraid to touch their mail every day!