Sign in to follow this  
mothow

What H/S will fit in SLI on the Ultra D

I have a DFI LP UT NF4 Ultra-D and Evga 6800GS and i want to get another one for SLI.I have a tyan m5000 SLI bridge which should work. But will 2 xNV5 rev3's fit this setup and if it does will i be able to use my Audigy 2 ZS platinum or will i need to go back to on board sound..I tried google and the search button but didnt find what i needed to know :tooth:

The Arctic Silencers don't fit when there is only one free slot between cards. There are other alternatives I think. I have two 6800GT's and because of this and how hot they both were I moved into watercooling, and thanks to that I am overclocking them a lot.

Sorrento

hmm nv5 wont fit .So i guess that leaves the zalmans out to.Thanks Sorrento maybe i will just run them stock till i can build a decent water cooling system

Uhh The Zalmans fit. I have a VF700. I was running Dual 7800GTs the other day to test both cards out...

I just grabbed a VF900-CU and it's easily used in SLI due to it's low profile, Good luck finding another 6800GS though since they aren't manufactured anymore :/ Only one I've found was an open box unit and not taking my chances with refurb/returned merch.

Yeah i know.But ive seen them on ebay and newegg had them in stock yesterday.But my credit card was declined.So im trying to get that straightened out as we speak.So i have a standing order but not the cash..lol And right after i tried to buy one newegg showed them out of stock so i must have grabbed the last one.Now if i can just get this problem with my card straight.Wanna sell your's..lol

When I get a new card (those 7900GT's are looking mighty affordable..) this one will be available to Canadian buyers here first. :)

Assuming one of my friends doens't buy it before i get to post about it.. ;)

i have 2 BFG 7800GT's in SLI now, and both have the VF700. only problem is the top card keeps sagging a little into the back-bracket of the bottom card...

the funny part of the story is i used a Qtip cut to just the right size to keep the cards far enough apart to not conflict...

do the vf900's do any better? i notice that the specs are the same heightwise.

I have a Radeon 9800XT and the thing has done a great job since the beggining, yet it always ran at a very high temperature, at least to my opinion, of around 70 to 74° C. ATI says this temperature is normal for the card, and only beyond 90° C I should worry about it.

The problem running something this hot is how everything inside the case overheats as well... this led me to use the Arctic Silencer for this Radeon, which only lowered the temperatures down to 66 to 70° C. The noise was gone too since the oem heatsink fan is quite loud. All was well with the Silencer until dust damaged the fan and it started to make noise and spin slowly: pushing it a little made it start and the noise was gone, but the risk of fan failure was inminent, so I removed the Silencer and went back to the stock heatsink.

I had it like that all winter with out incidents until last March when temperatures over here became hotter, which reminded me of certain "day after tomorrow" movie... so I went to look for a replacement and found this weird thing called Thermaltake Tide Water which sounded interesting.

I looked everywhere, from the "Kick butt" product guy... forgot his name and his site hehe, to other reviews and all said it was a better option than the Silencer in therms of performance, yet it costed nearly twice. I didn't had much to do so I bought it and to my suprise temperatures dropped down to 58 to 60° C, nearly 10° C less than with the Silencer at same room temperatures.

The thing is huge, it cost a lot ($70 dlls at Directron.com) and literally eats 2 PCI slots... but its one hell of a good gpu cooler and it gave me space to use the huge Frozencpu RAM sinks, something no other cooler could do. The fan has two settings: low noise, high noise... lol, well the slow one cools that much and is enough to perform better than anything else I have seen.

Not sure it can be used with SLI, but I think its worth mentioning. Watercooling is the way to go, its a shame its so expensive and so much work to do... if this little watercooling thing called Tide Water did this much imagine what a full watercooling system can do.

Good luck