opinions about 120mm fans

I'm considering replacing the fans in my P160, intake and exhaust. For the front intake, it takes a 120mm x 25mm fan, so I was looking at these:

Silverstone FM121

Aerocool Xtreme Turbine

Sunon KD1212PTB1-6A

For the exhaust, I can put on a 120mm x 38mm, so I was looking at these:

Sanyo Denki San Ace

Sunon KDE1212PMB3-6A

Panaflo FBA12G12U-1C Ultra High Speed

I've always seen good things about all these brands, but I haven't bought quality fans before so I don't have experience or a personal preference. I also bought a fan controller, so I figured I'd get fans that are capable of blowing a lot of air if I want it, but I can keep it lower and quieter too. Thanks for any thoughts and opinions.

Panaflo is said to be the best.

I managed to find some on ebay (as you can't buy them in Europe) so I'm jumping on those right now.

I don't know about your front intake ones, but check out which has the greatest cmf, compared to how loud it is and go for that, given that it's reviews aren't lousy.

They are all fine, there isn't much about fans to know anyway. The only thing is what style and if it's going to be behind something that you won't notice i would just get any unless you're going to have it behind a windows or something like that then Clear with LED's maybe? So just go ahead and order what you need, they all do the same thing as long as it's ball bearing....

Guest Blooz1

There's actually quite a bit to know about fans, Mack! That's why places where people take their noise seriously (like SilentPCReview) have whole forum sections devoted to nothing but discussions about fans!

gbaltzer, you should look at other places besides NewEgg for fans - they really don't have the best pricing on these items. Try SVC.com or Jab-Tech.com, both have a good selection and pricing.

I don't know how much noise you're willing to put up with, but I did notice that most of the fans you listed are ball-bearing. While these are more reliable long-term, they're also usually noisier, even with a controller. I tried suing that Panaflo you listed as an exhaust fan on one of my rigs, and found it "growly" when turned down via controller (motor noise).

Just for more info, here's the SPCR "Recommended Fans" page;

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article63-page1.html

While it hasn't been updated in a while, there's lots of good info here, along with actual results on many popular fans.

Thanks for the info guys. And Blooz1, I wasn't planning on buying them from newegg, I just posted the link there because it has a good data sheet. I didn't know they had bad fan prices until I started looking ;) And I'll be sure to check out your links.

Using the high speed Panaflo here, three of them, and their performance/noise ratio is great. There are other 3 Panaflo models with less noise - performance too.

You forgot the Thermaltake 120mm Smart Blue Fan in that list. It might not be the best of the best, but it has a manual controler built in making it ideal for some type of uses and it is pretty enough too.

I like this store (US):

http://www.sidewindercomputers.com

Dont get the Thermaltake 120mm Smart Fan!!! I bought one, used it as an exaust fan and it sounded like a jet engine. I turned it all the way downand it was the only fan I could here in my case. even louder than my Panaflo. I just bought some of THESE to replace my Thermaltake fans. I like em. They are alot quieter. My buddy wanted to try one for his TT BT he liked it so much he ordered one. my case temps Idle CPU 25 PWM IC 35 Chipset 38 Load CPU 33 PWM IC 45 Chipset 42.

Good Luck

I have been using Panaflo’s for a while now and I think these are the best fans you can get. If you don’t care about the noise go with the 115 cfm fans (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa12ulhisp.html) for me it was a bit too noisy and I swapped them to the 86 cfm ones (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa12mesp.html) which are plenty for my set up! :shake: