Sign in to follow this  
Hellac

Problem on Initial Bootup

I have gone through the tutorial step by step and rechecked everything many times. When I turn on the power on mobo, fans start, four red led lights come on in corner of board - but no display - green light on monitor is blinking.

When I unplug monitor cable from card I get the "Check Signal Cable" message flashing on screen. Only using one stick of memory.

No Beeps or anything.

Any sugesstions - thanks

Go ahead and put both sticks into the orange slots and try to boot it up again and see what happens. :)

Go ahead and put both sticks into the orange slots and try to boot it up again and see what happens. :)

I did and still no change - one prob is that this is the only video card I have all others are agp.

Thanks

Does your PC sound like its booting to windows ? Are you using the DVI connector and your monitor is set to look at the VGA connector ? Just a thought.

Is your OCZ PSU powerful enough for your gfx card. Even though its 520W. Just wondered card may need at least 18A on +12v.

I had same problem but issue was with gfx card it would do exactly same as yours is. My DFI does not like Nvidia cards, any Nvidia cards. Would only boot up with ATI cards but I guess you are using the X1800GTO. Could be the memory, this board is very fussy over what memory is used.

4 LEDs on = Power applied

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System

Four LEDS stuck at the power applied stage indicate the m/b is having a problem detecting the CPU, which it is, more than likely because you're using an opteron processor, and very possibly because the BIOS version on your m/b doesn't support the opteron. There are a couple of options here, hot flash your current BIOS chip from another motherboard, borrow a regular A64 processor that will allow you to at least boot so you can flash your BIOS, or you can send your BIOS chip to tmod's biosmedic and he'll flash it for you, or you can even buy a pre-flashed chip from him.

But before you go through all of that trouble you might try something simple like just removing and then reseating the cpu in it's socket to make sure it is firmly installed.

Since you read through the build tutorial, I'm sure that you have cleared your cmos at least once and tried to boot?

When I installed my new DFI board 2 days ago I had the same problem...

4 LED, no progress or beep.

I must admit it was a stupid mistake, but the room was not properly lit and I plugged in the ATX power cord without seeing that the mainboard has the "longer" ATX plug version. After removing the adapter, which I had to use with my old mainboard, it worked perfectly. (Also without any additional 12V plugs connected)

4 LEDs on = Power applied

3 LEDs on = CPU has been detected OK

2 LEDs on = RAM has been detected OK

1 LED on = VGA has been detected OK

0 LEDs on = System has booted to the Operating System

Four LEDS stuck at the power applied stage indicate the m/b is having a problem detecting the CPU, which it is, more than likely because you're using an opteron processor, and very possibly because the BIOS version on your m/b doesn't support the opteron. There are a couple of options here, hot flash your current BIOS chip from another motherboard, borrow a regular A64 processor that will allow you to at least boot so you can flash your BIOS, or you can send your BIOS chip to tmod's biosmedic and he'll flash it for you, or you can even buy a pre-flashed chip from him.

But before you go through all of that trouble you might try something simple like just removing and then reseating the cpu in it's socket to make sure it is firmly installed.

Since you read through the build tutorial, I'm sure that you have cleared your cmos at least once and tried to boot?

I did Clear the CMOS and no change. I also reseated the CPU, I was aware of the 4 LED lights and realized that the problem might be with the CPU. Like Vark asked - I don't hear anything except the fans starting up - no processing sounds.

I read for a couple of weeks on several forums prior to getting this setup - this is the first I have heard of this board bios not recognizing the Opteron 165 chip. So that may well be the problem.

I dont know anyone around that has a AMD chip that I could borrow to hot flash the bios - that would be great, but that resource is not available to me.

I did find Tmod's biosmedic on the web, thanks - I think I might just buy a bios chip that is ready to go for this processor and be done with it - hopefully this will get me up and running. I had to wait over a week to get all the parts, been trying to get this running several days - I fast see my 30 day return oportunities fading waiting for the bios :)

Thanks for the help - anything else I can try?

I'm afraid I don't have many more ideas at this time. Tmod's turnaround time is really good, so I'd just get a spare chip from him.

If you want to take the shotgun approach you could do that AND just go ahead and RMA the m/b and processor to make sure you preserve your 30 day RMA guarantee and to hopefully make sure you didn't get a bum cpu or m/b.

Thanks for the help - couple questions

What CPU's will my board boot to. Going to try and find a chip while waiting for the BIOS.

Why would DFI not include the Opteron 165 chip on their BIOS? I see plenty of people's sigs using the same combination that I have. Seems like it should boot from the factory to all 939's Chips. :)

Really to some extent depends on when your board was actually manufactured. Opteron's are not officially supported on desktop motherboards (like the Ultra-D). And yes, many people are just having great success running the Opteron on non-server platforms, but it does require the correct BIOS.

This is not a DFI issue. It is an AMD issue.

Well.....

I got my new Bios form BiosMedic this morning, and you guessed it - no change whatsoever. Still have 4 LED lights showing and no CPU noise at all.

So would you guess a bad CPU or mobo? I think at this point I should return both. I have 8 days before my 30 day return is up. I still want the same chip and mobo. How can I return both to make sure - I cant say for certain which is bad?

A big thanks to BiosMedic - He has a great service and is very quick also. :)