ATI 1900 Vrs Nivida 7900

-CsA-TAZ

Thx for the reply people but ur slightly getting carried away with my quest which was to find a card around £200 mark, and as a result i have found

Sapphire ATI Radeon X1800 XT 256MB GDDR3 AVIVO TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-121-SP)

Now then @ £170 uk pounds, this seems a great buy as the next cheapest i have found is £230 mark, so im set on this card now having read all the reviews, and yes its better than 7900 GT and GTX versions in 3D mark 05 yet its not so good in Aquamark 3 so i guess alot will depend on the game it self as some of you have all ready said!

My other question is what are the advantages of having 512 memory on the card over 256 memory, how will 512 meg benifit me, and is it worth the extra £80 pounds?

Hi people, just wondering which card is now best bang for buck?

Thats easy: 7900GT

If you want the best of the best, then two of these would be better than one 7900GTX 512mb or one x1900 XTX... I think :confused: hehe.

Your correct, 2x7900GT's will blow away a 7900GTX/X1900XTX anyday of the week. The X1800XT is an older card and has poor performance with newer games like FEAR, COD2, ect.... I would just shoot for the 7900GT if you're on a close budget. If you can shop at NEWEGG.COM they have one for $289 right now, LOL!

The 7900 and 1900 series are bvasically the same. It depends on the game. eg, The 7900GT might get better scores Quake4 where the X1900XT will get better scores in F.E.A.R. It all depends on which games you play and if you gonna OC, ofcource how you OC it! The nVidia cards are more popular and work better with most games!

not 100% true. @ high resolutions and high AA and AF or HDR on the x1900 series out performs the 7900gt & GTX. In Q4 the 1900 wins 1600x1200 AAx4 AFx8 but the 7900 is going to win @ 1024x768 no AA no AF.

If you are into games with HDR or Plan on it I still would drop the extra 100 bucks for an ATI.

Oblivion Results......

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2746&p=8

Dont get me wrong though the 7900gt is a great card but with a budget of $500 spend the $420 for a 1900xt and oc it with the stock cooler past XTX speeds. I do not favor either company I have always used both. I also have to disagree with the "work better with games". studdering issues with Nvidia were hell and took a while for them to resolve. On the other hand the ATi drivers stink.

Your correct, 2x7900GT's will blow away a 7900GTX/X1900XTX anyday of the week. The X1800XT is an older card and has poor performance with newer games like FEAR, COD2, ect.... I would just shoot for the 7900GT if you're on a close budget. If you can shop at NEWEGG.COM they have one for $289 right now, LOL!

Hmm i have done a lot of research on the above cards and there is nothing much between them, but the when the push comes to shove @ 1600 x1200 the ati cards always come out on top and when you up the AA +AF on these the FPS gap just increases, second thing is Nivdia cards play open gl games much better than ATi but ATi plays DX9 based game better, as always there are swings and round abouts but @ the end of the day its down to money and as i said, i managed to sell my 7800GT for £200 notes and buy a better card the X1800XT for £170, and BTW its only came out 2 months ago! (uk)

P.S I think you find that FEAR and COD2 came out long before the 1800 series came out, anyway my conclusion is you wont go far wont with any of the cards! :D