upgrade to dual core?

Fenix-Dark

As you can see in my signature, i've got a s939 3500+. I'm not able to get a fantastic overclock with it, but its quite acceptable. Would I see a big preformence improvement if I were to move to an overclocked Opteron 165 or x2 3800+? Does the extra 512KB of L2 cache make that much of a preformence improvement for games and complining apps in linux? Considering that I just purchased my new ocz ddr ram, I don't think I'd make the move to AM2 for quite a while after its release. Should I get a dual core cpu, or just wait until the second revision of AM2?

Thanks in advance

--Fenix

for the time bieng your not going to see any improvement going dual core...unless you multi task. running video editing ect. as for increasing the FPS you get nil boost. however.....the future of gameing is looking at the horizion for dual core. my advice: keep what you got...wait till the next gen CPUs hit towards the end of the year. then get one of those.

ps.

2.75 ain nottin to scoff at. its accually not bad at all.

for comparison look at my rig.....i score 10.5k on the 3dmark 05. course its cause i gots myself dual 7800gt's. i like my dual core because i do multiple DVD rips at once. and i like to play eve in the background while i play other games/surf around

Obviously with dual-cores youll notice an improvement in multi-tasking. Im currenty upgrading from a 3500+ venice to a opty 165. This system right now has a 3800x2 and I can really notice a better difference between this and my old 3500+. If it wasnt for its hard drives this thing would be a lot faster.

Guest shaolin95

I came from a similar CPU speed wise since I had a 754 Newcastle 3400 running @ 2786mhz and incredibily enough my new Opteron runs at almost the same speed but this one is a lot more stable, dual prime, dual superpi etc. Plus its a demon a multitasking and any app that takes advantage of dual core is simply stunnig like some dvd rippers and video encoders. I changed from a totally different format and couldnt be happier even though gaming is not much different since current games do not support dual core (just 2 or 3 at most). Still, you can set one core to run windows and the other to run the games and that theorically should give you a little better performance but then again...you will need that opteron to hit 2750 as well. I might be selling mine soon if interested (shameless advertising!). :shake:

Regards