Evercool VC-RE Chipset Fan Installation Tutorial Video! (2 fast mirror

awesome video, it helped a lot! my only question is, do you know of anyway to make the twinkling stop twinkling? lol

the LEDs in it kind of annoy me and I want to get rid of em, but don't know how, otherwise it seems like a great product...

yes im quoting myself... just to bring it to your attention, as i'd really like to know... like... really :rolleyes:

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

im just curious if there is anyway to disable the LEDs, i don't really care if they really are twinkling or not lol... its not really THAT bright, but bright enough to be annoying in a dorm room when trying to sleep... i thought about cutting wires, but I figured that they LEDs are getting power from the same wire that is making the fan spin so that seemed like a dumb idea...

im just curious if there is anyway to disable the LEDs, i don't really care if they really are twinkling or not lol... its not really THAT bright, but bright enough to be annoying in a dorm room when trying to sleep... i thought about cutting wires, but I figured that they LEDs are getting power from the same wire that is making the fan spin so that seemed like a dumb idea...

Well...the short answer is its possible. :)

I had one lying around waiting for a new board, so I tore it apart. The LEDS are actually VERY tiny on the circuit board behind the fan.

I tried prying the backing plate off (gently), but it wouldn't come. I tore off the sticker on the back to find the whole thing is pressed together, I'm not sure you could actually take it apart unless you break it....MAYBE if you heat it up so the glue holding the fan on weakens.... Anyways I gave up this attack and decided to make sure the thing still worked.

It does, with no lights anymore. Beats me what I hit, but apparently it did them in. The fan DOES rattle somewhat now, so I'm not going to put it on any board, but I think you should be able to just tear the LEDs off with little difficulty, and it SHOULDN"T affect the way the fan works. Just use small needlenose pliers.

Guest Kobalt

I know people who use black paint/polish/gloss, and it seems to work for them. They just paint over the LEDs, and that is pretty much it. Just be careful where you paint.

If it is a surface mount LED, then those little buggers are annoying, but you could smash them. Thought it just might be easier to get a fan that don't have the LEDs in the first place. :)

You'd think it'd be cheaper to just make an LED-less fan too...but I spose they want to cater to the enthusiast crowd and save a few bucks by having one model.

Oh well, at least they aren't terribly bright.

Guest markuk

Im sure you have heard this before, but doe's anyone know where i could get one of this VC-RE coolers from in the uk london please. searched and searched but cant seem to find it for sale in uk.

Thanks...

yea they look like lil surface mount LEDs... I tried to cover them up with some electrician's tape, but it was too thick and the fan was rubbing against the tape, but the nail polish might work, guess I could try smashing them too... not like the thing is THAT expensive even if I break it ;P