Evercool VC-RE Chipset Fan Installation Tutorial Video! (2 fast mirror

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new mirror is averaging about 1 GB of bandwith usage per day. That works out to be around 30 GB bandwith per month. We've allocated 10 times that so get downloading!

If someone is looking for something that is quite a passive sink would be better. Than the VC-RD.

Yea of course.. goes without saying.. there are a couple of great threads about passive chipset coolers for these boards.

Personally I was after a more off-the-shelf, tried and tested solution, as well as something that would be quiet.

How dose the RD cool compared to the RE. The RD seems to be aluminum compared to copper of the RE.

Well I am aware that copper is supposedly a better material than aluminium in many heatsink applications. But I mainly based my decision on the info on the Evercool website..

In most cases a bigger, slower fan is going to be quieter than a smaller, faster one, and here in AU the VC-RD cost me less than half what the VC-RE would have.

My results:

Machine is an Antec 1080 tower case with 2 x 80mm fans at the back and 2 at the front (all at 800-900rpm) and one internal 120mm at 700-800rpm (its mounted so that it blows air towards the chipset area).

Current temps and speeds for the chipset are 39 degrees C, with the fan at 1790rpm.

Ambient temperature is 23 degrees.

I'm very happy with the results.

-JBA

Guest LithoTech

My results:

Machine is an Antec 1080 tower case with 2 x 80mm fans at the back and 2 at the front (all at 800-900rpm) and one internal 120mm at 700-800rpm (its mounted so that it blows air towards the chipset area).

Current temps and speeds for the chipset are 39 degrees C, with the fan at 1790rpm.

Ambient temperature is 23 degrees.

I'm very happy with the results.

-JBA

Thanks for that update/info Jimbo, its always nice to see results in a thread like this, keeps it progressing. :D

Found this from the boards of a local supplier, hope the author doesn't mind me cross posting it:

Swapping in the Evercool dropped my chipset idle temps from 41 to 37, and load temps from 46/47 to 38....and the Evercool is dead silent running at 3200 rpm, pushing it all the way to 5000 RPM you can hear a light hum.

Nice little upgrade.

His idle and load temps are pretty close to mine, and our ambient temps are close as well, starting to warm up here with no more chilly basement temp readings.

It will be very nice indeed, to have below 40 load on the chipset, and I must say that this is the cheapest 10 degrees you can buy anywhere. :nod:

Guest LithoTech
I'll see about getting one of these RD units to tetst out ;)

anyone else have any suggestions for another chipset cooler that might be a good fit on these boards?

Yeah, as a matter of fact, we were just discussing one alternative that has been used by many people with good results.

It's the Zalman ZM-NB47J.

Osen's Post:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...373&postcount=1

Describing how he bent the fins out of the way of the video card so he wouldn't have to run it in the lower PCI-e slot. Even broke a few off.

Then he attached a fan to it with a wood screw threading directly inbetween a couple of the fins, holds tight. Huge surface area, and much more CFM, the cooling performance of this pair must be pretty good.

I've seen pics of this done before, but damned if I can find the site now. Same deal, can't move the vid card down for one reason or another, usually overcrowding with sound card etc.

Osen has done some other interesting tricks with his Antec P180, hopefully he'll have some more pics and comparrative temperature data to share for the zalman chipset mod.

Wow what a cool voice angry has! sounds like a teacher i have, hhehehehehe but at least it makes me wanna listen and pay attention.

Great tutorial thanks alot! i should be getting my VC-RE tomorrow from SVC so this is perfect.

Guest Ender

nice tutorial

I can see how this would be very helpful to someone who wanted to do this mod