Evercool VC-RE Chipset Fan Installation Tutorial Video! (2 fast mirror

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LithoTech

Finally got around to putting mine in. Reconfigured most of my cooling in fact, but no real change over the chipset area -- still the vid card and an Antec 120 dusting the area.

Got a solid 5 degrees drop under load and 6 degrees at idle. Previous temps were recorded immediately prior to the swap, weather here is cool at the moment.

Cost for the VC-RE is a little more up here in Canukistan, but it still works out to $2 per degree, and that is about as cheap as it gets in the cooling business. :D

Later this summer, I'd like to try that VC-RD sometime this summer, see if she takes heat away a little faster.

/edit: whoops, mean the Iceberg not vc-rd

Cripes everybody say THANK YOU. Very well done first time I've logged on in a while saw the thread and thought you wrote it for me as I just today ordered the evercool after lsitening to my stock cooler reving up for another take-off at 7000+ rpm. Angry very well done easy to follow your audio and video was fine (cripes guys give him a break). Had no problems with download speed took 10 mins (everybody go get yourself a cup of joe and relax for a min). Now if I could get you to do a video on overclocking the Lanparty sli that would be a real bonus!. Again thanks great job very helpful and keep up the great work

. Now if I could get you to do a video on overclocking the Lanparty sli that would be a real bonus!. Again thanks great job very helpful and keep up the great work

lol

a video on overclocking would be about 1,000 hours long and still wouldn't guarantee success like this video would if you followed it exactly as I have done it ;)

the best overclocking tutorial is really the Overclocking Guide...read it and study it like a schoolbook in college and you'll learn and soon be teaching other noob overclockers which in turn means they will learn and teach others etc etc ;)

I dig making the vids...they just take forever to actually edit and encode and get just right grrrr

Guest LithoTech
lol

a video on overclocking would be about 1,000 hours long and still wouldn't guarantee success like this video would if you followed it exactly as I have done it ;)

the best overclocking tutorial is really the Overclocking Guide...read it and study it like a schoolbook in college and you'll learn and soon be teaching other noob overclockers which in turn means they will learn and teach others etc etc ;)

I dig making the vids...they just take forever to actually edit and encode and get just right grrrr

Actually, it's not impossible, and could be cut down to 5-10 minutes, or say 100-200mb in same quality as this vc-re one.

The variables involved are massive, and just impossible to cover. But lets just think out of the box for a sec.

I'm thinking what would be interesting, what a lot of people would enjoy seeing and learn from, me included, is say your routine for the first few boots with a fresh kit of ram and/or a new processor.

Really hard to describe in type, and a little off topic (I'd send this as a PM except I think feedback from this thread already on a good video could brainstorm even better ideas), so bare with me.

Lets just assume you have the system stable at stock speed already. Lets also assume you already know the max HTT/FSB of the processor/mobo etc. So with the ram stable at stock speed, the video starts with you narrating what it is that you do first to determine that max speed and characteristics of the ram. The video follows the progression of settings that you personally go after in your favorite order. It is bound to get real interesting to all the audience when you run into some difficulties, and you attempt to tweak a few settings to get past a wall that shouldn't be there. At the end, a few screens of point form bullet text outlining what you did basically, tweak these first, then that, crank-up this when past x-amount of mhz, so on and so on.

Lots of cut-aways and fast forwards, but I think the concept would work. It would be interesting particularly because I'm sure everyone goes about this slightly different, and we all pick up odd tricks here and there from different guides that others haven't seen. To see another at work is something many of us have never seen.

Or you could approach it in a completely different way, more of a fun way but much miore editing work. Simply keep the camera at work for a day, pass it around, let a few people do some filming. Completely ad-lib, real-life on the job work... of people who work for the finest overclocking motherboard made. Very interesting shiz.

To see the techniques of someone who has several thousand hours experience on DFI motherboards with countless different types or ram and processors... well, let me just say that if it were done right you'd have the makings of a great podcast if not another reality TV show that every geek across the globe would take extreme measures to never miss an episode! lol!

So yeah, I still read, nay, study guides, especially ram. I still examine other's overclock settings with a carefull eye looking for anything unusual that seemed to work well for him. What I would give to look over the shoulder of a paid overclocker for a day on the job?!!

Ah well, nuff said. Hope I planted a seed, if not for this, maybe for an episode of something else. :D

Nice job, as for file front maybe its better at 2:30 Am because mines going 470kb/s+

as for the learnign about overclocking...honestly in my opinion people need to learn be experience...

first read the guide all the way through then you know what the general idea is and pretty much know what you're doing...

but to actually LEARn overclcoking it comes from the countless hours of reboots and countless hours of P95/runs of 3dmark/ diff settings and school days of brainstorming ways to get higher clocks lOL...

awesome video, it helped a lot! my only question is, do you know of anyway to make the twinkling stop twinkling? lol

the LEDs in it kind of annoy me and I want to get rid of em, but don't know how, otherwise it seems like a great product...

Actually, it's not impossible, and could be cut down to 5-10 minutes, or say 100-200mb in same quality as this vc-re one.

The variables involved are massive, and just impossible to cover. But lets just think out of the box for a sec.

I'm thinking what would be interesting, what a lot of people would enjoy seeing and learn from, me included, is say your routine for the first few boots with a fresh kit of ram and/or a new processor.

Really hard to describe in type, and a little off topic (I'd send this as a PM except I think feedback from this thread already on a good video could brainstorm even better ideas), so bare with me.

Lets just assume you have the system stable at stock speed already. Lets also assume you already know the max HTT/FSB of the processor/mobo etc. So with the ram stable at stock speed, the video starts with you narrating what it is that you do first to determine that max speed and characteristics of the ram. The video follows the progression of settings that you personally go after in your favorite order. It is bound to get real interesting to all the audience when you run into some difficulties, and you attempt to tweak a few settings to get past a wall that shouldn't be there. At the end, a few screens of point form bullet text outlining what you did basically, tweak these first, then that, crank-up this when past x-amount of mhz, so on and so on.

Lots of cut-aways and fast forwards, but I think the concept would work. It would be interesting particularly because I'm sure everyone goes about this slightly different, and we all pick up odd tricks here and there from different guides that others haven't seen. To see another at work is something many of us have never seen.

Or you could approach it in a completely different way, more of a fun way but much miore editing work. Simply keep the camera at work for a day, pass it around, let a few people do some filming. Completely ad-lib, real-life on the job work... of people who work for the finest overclocking motherboard made. Very interesting shiz.

To see the techniques of someone who has several thousand hours experience on DFI motherboards with countless different types or ram and processors... well, let me just say that if it were done right you'd have the makings of a great podcast if not another reality TV show that every geek across the globe would take extreme measures to never miss an episode! lol!

So yeah, I still read, nay, study guides, especially ram. I still examine other's overclock settings with a carefull eye looking for anything unusual that seemed to work well for him. What I would give to look over the shoulder of a paid overclocker for a day on the job?!!

Ah well, nuff said. Hope I planted a seed, if not for this, maybe for an episode of something else. :D

lol the fact that it took you that long to describe that little of the overclocking process, and you left out about 90% of the overclocking process in your general description, means that I am correct and an overclocking video would be simply too long

if you are going to show someone how to do something, you must show them the right way to do it or you might as well not show them at all.

Overclocking is not something you just hand a gun to a child and say "go play cowboys and indians" as that is dangerous.

as for the learnign about overclocking...honestly in my opinion people need to learn be experience...

first read the guide all the way through then you know what the general idea is and pretty much know what you're doing...

but to actually LEARn overclcoking it comes from the countless hours of reboots and countless hours of P95/runs of 3dmark/ diff settings and school days of brainstorming ways to get higher clocks lOL...

booyah

this is the path to enlightenment