Evercool VC-RE Chipset Fan Installation Tutorial Video! (2 fast mirror

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ordered two of these. I'm going to try doing it the way Absoloot did it without removing the motherboard. Don't really want to do that unless I absolutely have to.

Just ordered one up for my new build, and the service from Jab-Tech was excellent, it'll be arriving the same time as all the other parts that I ordered from NewEgg, who BTW dont carry this item.

Great vid, even idiots like me can follow it :nod:

Is that with a two slot vid card or one slot? Dunno how much cooler that chip can run with the vid card (2 slot) blocking almost the whole thing. Is that 10 C. or 10 F?

it's always C when it comes to computers ;)

the type of video card cooler you have is very important to chipset temps also

stock 7800 coolers = throw heat out of the back of the card, which means right over the chipset, which means increased chipset temps no matter what

Accelero X2 aftermarket coolers = pretty much the same result

Arctic Silencers, Zalmans, Thermalright V1-Ultra, etc = blows heat either out of the slots of the case, or in ambient directions from the gpu (no particular direction), which means a drop in chipset temps ;)

Guest LithoTech
The type of video card cooler you have is very important to chipset temps also.

Stock 7800 coolers = throw heat out of the back of the card, which means right over the chipset, which means increased chipset temps no matter what

Accelero X2 aftermarket coolers = pretty much the same result

Arctic Silencers, Zalmans, Thermalright V1-Ultra, etc = blows heat either out of the slots of the case, or in ambient directions from the gpu (no particular direction), which means a drop in chipset temps ;)

Regarding the Accelero, this is rather unfortunate news because the overall performance of that cooler is pretty stellar. This was discussed in another thread briefly.

AC advertises that the exhaust is directed so that it helps cool mobo components like voltage regulators. I've no idea what mobo they figure this happens with.

But I am wondering if anyone has tried or figured a way to redirect the Accelero's exhaust away from the chipset?

In the other discussion, the person using the Accelero had also added extra cooling in the area, so the effect that the vid card exhaust may have had on the chipset was nullified, and his temps were still a way below his old temps.

My system is a single vid card, and the 6800GS tends to be one of the hotter running cards hitting 70C under load with my fans maxed and a game that really works it hard. I could move the card to the second slot away from the chipset to help the matter, but that would really cramp the lower area of the case and mobo w/ my sound card and some extra cabling, and cause more heat in that area.

I also speculate that the Accelero cools so well that the exhaust may very well help the chipset; providing it moves the air through its system fast enough that it doesn't get too hot. The chipset temps with a VC-RE before and after adding an Accelero may end up being the same, a little less, or only slightly higher.

I'm hoping this exhaust on the Accelero can be diverted a bit somehow, because the price on it is dropping slightly around here, and I'm still thinking of getting one to dump a good 10C off my vid card. The other vid card coolers are not dropping in price at all and all of them are more expensive than the AC.

I keep telling myself to just live with the heat until I can upgrade to a 7900GT, in which case the Accelero won't fit. If that damn cooler would fit a 7900 I'd buy it.

I also speculate that the Accelero cools so well that the exhaust may very well help the chipset; providing it moves the air through its system fast enough that it doesn't get too hot. The chipset temps with a VC-RE before and after adding an Accelero may end up being the same, a little less, or only slightly higher.

incorrect

it blows hot gpu air right down on the slot, and since the slots are placed right at teh chipset on our boards, it blows hot gpu air right over the chipset lol (especially if you use the top pci-e slot)

you can take my word for it or you can try it yourself...

I always use extra cooling around the board like the Cross-Flow fan on a Stacker case, or just a silent 80mm in the chipset/gpu area to make sure air moves back away from the rear of the case/chipset.

btw, they'll have a version for all the newer 7900's soon enough

Guest LithoTech
incorrect

it blows hot gpu air right down on the slot, and since the slots are placed right at teh chipset on our boards, it blows hot gpu air right over the chipset lol (especially if you use the top pci-e slot)

you can take my word for it or you can try it yourself...

I always use extra cooling around the board like the Cross-Flow fan on a Stacker case, or just a silent 80mm in the chipset/gpu area to make sure air moves back away from the rear of the case/chipset.

btw, they'll have a version for all the newer 7900's soon enough

OK, so I'll take your word for it that the air exhausting is hot and not cool enough to help matters. Sucks.

Moving the vid card to the lower slot is still too close?

If that fan were sucking air instead of blowing, might work like a charm. I can see trying to divert the exhaust would be challenging; would almost have to suck it out because anything you stick in there to deflect it would be restrictive to the flow. Hmmm, but if the fan were reversed so that the air was drawn in from the exhaust... then blow out the top right in to your cross flow.

Hopefully the 7900 version will be a different design.

Vantec iceberq 4 gpu heatsink...

hey!

I basically followed happy_games video tutorial, but had to cut some of the copper to fit the cooler in properly....Everything is running fine, graphics card fits etc...Its prob about the same size as the evercool...

heres some pics, of the cooler installed etc...

my temps are still 40 celcius @idle, so im hoping it will drop in temp soon..

i used arctic silver thermal compound...

PS!!! do you think that my case looks best the way it is, or it will look better if i move the neon lights to the side panel?

sorry bout quality of pics im using phone camera "supposedly 2 megapixel.."