Evercool VC-RE Chipset Fan Installation Tutorial Video! (2 fast mirror

I just ordered one from SVC. I thought it was funny it said "(DFI Recommended)" on the end :).

Great job with the video guide! I don't know why people come on here whining and complaining when you put so much work into it! Man... I've written FAQs and explanitory guides so long that the scroll bar is the smallest it will get, and when someone complains after all that work or is too lazy to read it, I wonder what they're smoking.

Anyway, good work :-P. I'm shooting for performance + near silence this time around.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you so much for this fantastic guide. Gave me the balls to give it a crack.

This is my first higher end rig and I appreciate all the information this site can give.

After hunting for about three days, I finally tracked down an Everclear in Australia, which believe me, is no easy feat. If anyone needs info on this, send me a PM....The dfi-street affilliated site wont send international unfortunately.

The Everclear has dropped my loaded chipset temps by 10 degrees C. The idle temps are now negligable.....The stock cooler is, amazingly, such a piece of crap by comparison.

Thank you very, very much.....Come summer here, this will be a godsend.

Hmm. Great video. Also, great tip whoever suggested using side-cutters to cut the stock retaining clips thus avoiding MoBo removal. Anyone who trys it this way, just be sure to find the springs when they come flying out - you DO NOT want those little buggers finding their way into some dark corner and shorting your $tuff!!! :)

Problem = Easy install, esp. after watching the video & reading your posts, but my Radeon x800Pro (built by ATI w/ Arctic Silencer) does NOT fit in the top PCI-E slot. Not even close. I tried 'bending' the fins on the Evercool to allow the card to seat properly, but then the card/cooler actually interfered with the fan on the new cooler. YUCK! I'm running with the card in the bottom PCI-E slot for now, so I can post and figure out what the heck to do now. My board is the Ultra-D (see sig) and even after re-installing the ATI drivers performance is horrible with the card in the Secondary slot. Is there any way to get around this? Obviously, I can't reuse the stock retaining clips because of the aforementioned short cut, so at least for now I'm stuck with the VC-RE. HELP!!!

Beside the fact that my computer is now completely useless for any 3D stuff, the install was great - I'm getting 35C on my chipset which used to be ~45C with the fan @ 100%.

Have you switched the jumpers on the motherboard to SLI mode? If you havent, the the top slot is running @ 16x and the bottom @ 2x. When you move the jumpers, both slots become 8x.

I already moved the jumpers down to SLI mode, reinstalled the Cats and no luck. Also, under device manager it's showing up as 2 display adapters:

1) Radeon X800 Pro Secondary

and

2) Radeon X800 Series

Since my board is only an Ultra-D, do I need to mod it to allow the 8x/8x mode? :(

Where do I order a new OE DFI chipset cooler?

edit - I started a new topic here: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/newthread....=newthread&f=33 to keep from jacking this thread.

With my Arctic Cooling Silencer 5 on my X800XL I had to cut part of the silencer off or it would not fit in the top slot with the stock cooler. There is a little bulge sticking out of the silencer where it is screwed together. I got out my dremel and cut that off and now everything is fine. I'll post a pic in a sec.

svcompucycle191031273799sq3.th.jpg

I'm cross-posting as I think more folks will see this post in the NF4 forum. The original post is on the 11th page towards the bottom here:

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...t=52950&page=11

I just installed the VC-RE, which lowered my chipset temps 10C (w/ AS5.) That's great, but my X800Pro w/ Arctic Cooler doesn't fit in the top PCI-E slot anymore. I tried bending the new cooler, but even if I mash the offending fins down enough for the card to clear it stops the fan blades from turning freely. For now, I'm running with the X800 in the bottom PCI-E slot, but even with the jumpers in the lower position (SLI) I'm not getting 8X bandwidth (bench/gaming #s are the same as the default position.) Has anyone else come across this problem? I'm not nuts about returning to the stock cooler, but I may have to. . .

Would This help?

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...9&postcount=222

With my Arctic Cooling Silencer 5 on my X800XL I had to cut part of the silencer off or it would not fit in the top slot with the stock cooler. There is a little bulge sticking out of the silencer where it is screwed together. I got out my dremel and cut that off and now everything is fine. I'll post a pic in a sec.

svcompucycle191031273799sq3.th.jpg

Haha, nevermind, I was creating my post when Oats posted, it himself

Oats - thanks for the info. I see the part you're talking about & it looks like it'd be a cinch to remove with a cut-off wheel. To me, it looks as if the card will still touch the fins of the VC-RE. The actual PCB almost touches the fins when mounted in the bottom slot, but I'll definately try it tomorrow. . .

I couldn't find the anser anywhere, and I tried searching. does doing this void your warranty? I would figure so, but I haven't seen any mention of it. Also you were to just put the stock one back one, would they notice?

There is a catch. It doesn't void your warrenty AS LONG as you don't damage anything in the process. So if you try and return it with a gouge in the chipset - you wouldn't get your money back or a replacement, lol -even if you put the stock one back on, they aren't stupid.

• 2 weeks later...