Noobs alive Batman, we have a green OC'er here

Well lets just say that one of these three statements (or possibly all three or a combo of them) are correct.

1) This DFI board is faulty

2) This opteron 165 CCBWE 0607 with a POS stepping is a POS

3) Im the noobest OC'er this side of noobville

The thing is, this is my first OC attempt ever and im using a motherboard with more bells and whistles then I know what to do with lol. But im not a moron, so I should be able to learn lol.

First off I figured I could go for 2.2ghz right off the bat, WRONG!! Because every otperon should atleast get that much... well lol thats just wishfull thinking.

I set my FBS to 245mhz and my ram divider to 166mhz. That would have put my CPU at 2205mhz and my RAM at 200.45454545 mhz. Didnt raise Vcore at all. Set HTT multi to 4X and tried to boot... didnt even get into windows... crashed at the windows loading screen.

So I figure WTF... I think I may have to manually set all my ram timings instead of leavin them at auto. I also set my multi from auto to 9X (even though I when I tried 210FSB and left it at auto it still used 9) because I've heard people say not to leave it at auto. I dont know about voltages... unless its somthing stupid thats causing me to crash (which with a DFI board it wouldnt supprise me).

The only thing is that at 210x9 with a 1:1 ram divider the temps were way to high. CPU went to 41C load, and PWM IC went to 51C while chipset didnt go up that much... it fluctuated at 48-49C on stock cooler.

I know the 0607 opteron 165 isnt the best OC'er... but COMON I have ot be able to get more then freakin 90mhz lol.

unless its somthing stupid thats causing me to crash (which with a DFI board it wouldnt supprise me).

lol the DFI board cant crash by itself it has to have human help :nod:

I read the guide before I even purchased this hardware, the guide was sort of a deciding factor in buying it. I figured that since they have a guide on how to do it, it must be a good OC'ing board. Not many mobo makers put out guides on how to OC on their board.

All im saying is that theirs a chance this board and or its temp sensors are faulty. Espically the temp sensors... I get 35C idle in bios and 29C idle in windows... to much of a difference for my likeing.

And im not basing this DFI Lanparty UT nF4 Ultra-D in any way... I love the board its just I dont know enough about the settings in the bios to OC I guess. Its either that, or I got a INCREDIBLY bad Opteron or the board itself is faulty (which I dont think it is... it was prime 95 stable for 14+ hours on stock with no problems).

So I was just looking for a little OC guidance, other then what that .PDF file I've already read has to offer.

unless its somthing stupid thats causing me to crash (which with a DFI board it wouldnt supprise me).

lol the DFI board cant crash by itself it has to have human help :nod:

ZOMFG LRN2QUOTE !

lol the DFI board cant crash by itself it has to have human help :nod:[ /QUOTE]

ZOMFG LRN2QUOTE !

I dont want offical help... some pointers would be nice though.

Didnt need 2T... this is what I did.

Wrote down tCL tRCD tRP tRAS and CPC (which I knew was 1T) numbers and entered them into bios instead of it saying auto for them all. Set CPU multi from auto to 9x, HTT multi to 4x (which will soon need to go to 3x) set CPU startup volts to 1.5 and Vcore to 1.35V. Put PCI-E bus to 102mhz and used the 166 ram divider. Also bumped ram volts to 2.7 but I dont think that was necessary. I set ram Cas latency to 3 becasue 2.5 wasnt a selectable number.. im going to try 2 and see if its stable.

Next thing is to lower ram volts to 2.6, cas latency to 2 and see if she's still stable.

As it stands at 2.2ghz it did super PI 32M test in 34M 45S... which isnt great but Cas was 3 so yea.

u can always try a buddies psu to see if it will let you go farther//// im not saying to go and buy a new one becuase you psu may very well be not limitiung the OC so just try and find out for free..if possible

Dont think its the PSU... 535W with strong rails.

Got 2.2ghz stable as a rock on 1.350 vcore with ram at 2.6V and 2.5-3-3-6. I couldnt get 2 tCL to boot at all, just kept crashing halfway through the black windows loading screen. Not like it matters... the difference in my Super PI 1.5 32M test was like 18 seconds better going from 3 tCL to 2.5 tCL. I may just put it back at 3 if its more stable

Today I try for 2.3ghz and try to keep the same Vcore.. I dont expect much more then 2.5 out of this chip.... but hope I can get that without a major raise in Vcore (the CCBWE 0607 steppings are rumoured to be bad OC'ers).

Now my real issue is cooling, and its odd that its already an issue.

my PWM IC (whatver and wherever the hell that thing is) reaches 52C after about 10 min of dual prime and my cpu at 2.2ghz. The chipset reaches the same, but that will drop alot once I install the evercool replacement Chipset fan. This PWM IC thing though... how do I drop that temp?? Is 52C safe because smart guardian put it in red, im guessing thats bad. Now my case is all exhaust fans ATM, but when I turn them from low to high (antec tri-cool 120mm's) temps drop to 39-40C CPU, 48C PWM IC and 47C Chipset under full load.

Im going to be installing my freezer 64 pro with MX-1 compound, teh new evercool fan and installing my 3rd antec tri cool in the front of my antec P-180 for better cooling. It should make everything nice and cool.

BTW this crappy 165 has a Tcase max of 55C