Sign in to follow this  
n33b

CPU HSF turns off 5 seconds after boot

Due to motherboard/CPU failure, I replaced motherboard with a DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D UT, and my CPU with a AMD 64 3200+ Venice. After I put everything together, I turned the PSU on and noticed 2 LEDS on the board lit up, next to the ram slots and one near the PCI slots. There's supposed to be 3, correct? One to detect the CPU? After that, I tried booting the PC up. Everything went ok for a while, all the fans started up, monitor starts to turn on, but about 5 seconds after I booted, the CPU HSF (Stock AMD HSF) stops. I turned the PC off as soon as the HSF stopped in fear of frying my CPU.

Is the motherboard not detecting the CPU? Why does the HSF turn off after 5 seconds?

Thanks in advance.

There is a BIOS entry that will allow you to change the temp. that triggers your HSF.

There is a BIOS entry that will allow you to change the temp. that triggers your HSF.

I'm not so sure what you mean, please explain.

I can't even get to the BIOS since I can't boot without my CPU HSF turning off.

You can always plug the CPU HSF directly into a fan controller, or if you have a 3 to 4 pin adapter, directly into the PSU.

Is your HSF fan plugged into the motherboard?

Go into the BIOS, under PC health and set the “CPUfan Fully On If CPUTemp > 26c. Play with it from there. Hope this helps.

tasr :)

How rude of me..................

Welcome to the Street. You came to the right place for support on your DFI motherboard.

You can always plug the CPU HSF directly into a fan controller, or if you have a 3 to 4 pin adapter, directly into the PSU.

Don't have a 3 to 4 pin adapter. The CPU fan does turn on and spin, but goes off after about 5 seconds. Anyone have any idea whats wrong? Also, I noticed that there's supposed to be FOUR LEDS, not 2/3. As I said before, I'm only getting two of the LEDS , next to a ram slot and one next to the bottom PCI slot. What are the other two LEDS for?

Is your HSF fan plugged into the motherboard?

Go into the BIOS, under PC health and set the “CPUfan Fully On If CPUTemp > 26c. Play with it from there. Hope this helps.

Yeah, the HSF is plugged into the motherboard.

So, Should I ignore the fact that the CPU HSF stops spinning while my PC is on and go into BIOS anyway? Wouldn't that just fry my CPU? :confused: :confused:

How rude of me..................

Welcome to the Street. You came to the right place for support on your DFI motherboard.

Thanks for the welcome , This is my first DFI Motherboard :)

I'm not so sure what you mean, please explain.

I can't even get to the BIOS since I can't boot without my CPU HSF turning off.

What he means n33b is that the board is temperature sensitive, which means it will start or stop the CPU fan according to temperature readings and settings you yourself determine that the fan should turn on and off...

there's a section in the bios called "PC Health Status" in there you can set the fan to start spinning or stop spinning at a given temperature of the CPU....

For a good balance you could setup the fan start up spin to....say .....30C and to spin at its maximum speed at 50C since nobody wants to have a CPU past 50c anyway....

don't be afraid to go into the bios and change it since if you installed the HSF correctly chances are your CPU is running too cool to need the fan spinning anyway....

n33b

Yes go into your BIOS and change it. Did the BIOS change work for your fan?

For the rest of your problems, I would first do this;

Check this NF4 LanParty - initial build w/pictures. Are all four power connectors plugged in?

Put your single memory stick in orange slot farthest from the CPU.

Then this Proper way to clear the CMOS from a "No Boot" condition.

Darn...................I can't keep up with these posts.......must type faster!!!!!!

What he means n33b is that the board is temperature sensitive, which means it will start or stop the CPU fan according to temperature readings and settings you yourself determine that the fan should turn on and off...

there's a section in the bios called "PC Health Status" in there you can set the fan to start spinning or stop spinning at a given temperature of the CPU....

For a good balance you could setup the fan start up spin to....say .....30C and to spin at its maximum speed at 50C since nobody wants to have a CPU past 50c anyway....

don't be afraid to go into the bios and change it since if you installed the HSF correctly chances are your CPU is running too cool to need the fan spinning anyway....

I see, Thank you!

Also, What about the LEDS? Only 2 of mine are lighting up when I turn the PSU on.