ONLY 3,4GB out of 4GB RAM?! Why?!?!

Hello!

I bought myself a new system few days ago. I have 2x 2GB GeIL Value Dual Channel PC3200 400MHz DDR http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=36 . When plugged it in, and the PC did his first test it counted 4GB but the second time I had only 3,4GB RAM. My Windows XP Pro can also recognize only 3,4GB of RAM instead of 4GB!

Please help me out here... what can I do...u're my last hope

WindowsXP 32 doesn't support more than 3.5Gb or so of ram, at least without some serious tweaking.

There is an alternative, Windows XP 64, which does. Do a forum search, there are a few good topics based on this subject already..

fariss and others... what is confusing me is that BIOS also recognises 3,4 GB of RAM and not only XP pro SP2. But if I restart the CMOS to defaults the first BIOS memory count will be correct (4gb). (BTW: I have now flashed BIOS on 2006/04/06 and it doesn't help.)

Do windows XP somehow influence on false BIOS memory read?!?!?!?

help!? :confused:

fariss and others... what is confusing me is that BIOS also recognises 3,4 GB of RAM and not only XP pro SP2. But if I restart the CMOS to defaults the first BIOS memory count will be correct (4gb). (BTW: I have now flashed BIOS on 2006/04/06 and it doesn't help.)

Do windows XP somehow influence on false BIOS memory read?!?!?!?

help!? :confused:

Go into the BIOS in the "Advanced Chipset Features"

There's an option called "Memory Hole MMIO" or something of the sort...don't remember by heart....make sure it's ENABLED if you wanna see all 4 gigs recognized in the BIOS and everywhere else....

tnx Oceanborn! I can see all 4 gigs in BIOS now. Win XP are now on 3gigs (before 3,4 gigs). :shake: but never mind...i was just worried that my ram isn't working. Now that i know that it is windows XP problem I am reliefed. Ill just wait for Vista.