Sign in to follow this  
Serrinon

Enermax Liberty 12 V Rail reading 12.33, is this a problem?

Hi all, MBM5 reports my 12v Rail on my Enermax Liberty 500w at 12.33

The DFI Ultra-D reports it as 12.15

Which should I believe and are either of these readings a problem?

Thanks!

MBM5 isnt 100% accurate... I don't think the BIOS is completely accurate either. The only way to be absolutely sure of your rails is to use a multimeter.

I don't think that that small difference is a problem

Neither is accurate. The onboard power measuring circuitry is cheap and crappy and MBM5 just queries it. Plug a multimeter into a Molex plug, black into black, red into red, and that'll give you your true 12v reading. Within 5% either way is acceptable.

Hi there...no i think it's a good strong +12v rail....my new epsilon which i put in today says 12.27 in mbm and 12.15 in bios...when i checked with mm i found mbm to be more correct...my actual reading was 12.33....and no it is not a problem.

[quote name='cronocrash']MBM5 isnt 100% accurate... I don't think the BIOS is completely accurate either. The only way to be absolutely sure of your rails is to use a multimeter.[/quote] <---Quoted for truth.

Head to wal mart or any automitive supply and pick up a digital multimeter.
A cheap one is 15 bucks a good one is 40+ but the cheap ones work just fine.

Test the rails with the DMM and then +.- the reading and adjust mbm5 accordingly to get your onboard sensors as close to correct as you can.

[quote name='Fresh Daemon']Neither is accurate. The onboard power measuring circuitry is cheap and crappy and MBM5 just queries it. Plug a multimeter into a Molex plug, black into black, red into red, and that'll give you your true 12v reading. Within 5% either way is acceptable.[/quote]

I think that the red molex line is +5V. The yellow is +12V. ;)

Thanks guys!

I feel a lot better now! The only other reading I have questions about now is the CPU volts.

the DFI mobo says I'm at 1.35, but MBM5 says 1.33. I have it set to 1.35 in the Bios but I would like to know how much juice I'm actually giving the CPU.

I"m guessing that just like with the PSU, I should ignore the MBM5 reading and assume that the DFI reading is correct?

Also looks like I'm off to the store for a multimeter :) Seems like a good investment.

[quote name='Serrinon']Thanks guys!

I feel a lot better now! The only other reading I have questions about now is the CPU volts.

the DFI mobo says I'm at 1.35, but MBM5 says 1.33. I have it set to 1.35 in the Bios but I would like to know how much juice I'm actually giving the CPU.

I"m guessing that just like with the PSU, I should ignore the MBM5 reading and assume that the DFI reading is correct?

Also looks like I'm off to the store for a multimeter :) Seems like a good investment.[/quote]

It's been my experience that the CPU voltage is very, very close to the value chosen in the BIOS. You can check this with a multi, but it's a bit scary for someone who's never done it. There is a guide around here somewhere that shows the measuring points.

Personally, I just set it in the BIOS and assume that that is what it is.

Get that multimeter, though. It's a good investment!

Good Luck!