Sign in to follow this  
Serrinon

Enermax Liberty 12 V Rail reading 12.33, is this a problem?

Hi all, MBM5 reports my 12v Rail on my Enermax Liberty 500w at 12.33

The DFI Ultra-D reports it as 12.15

Which should I believe and are either of these readings a problem?

Thanks!

MBM5 isnt 100% accurate... I don't think the BIOS is completely accurate either. The only way to be absolutely sure of your rails is to use a multimeter.

I don't think that that small difference is a problem

Neither is accurate. The onboard power measuring circuitry is cheap and crappy and MBM5 just queries it. Plug a multimeter into a Molex plug, black into black, red into red, and that'll give you your true 12v reading. Within 5% either way is acceptable.

Hi there...no i think it's a good strong +12v rail....my new epsilon which i put in today says 12.27 in mbm and 12.15 in bios...when i checked with mm i found mbm to be more correct...my actual reading was 12.33....and no it is not a problem.

MBM5 isnt 100% accurate... I don't think the BIOS is completely accurate either. The only way to be absolutely sure of your rails is to use a multimeter.
<---Quoted for truth.

Head to wal mart or any automitive supply and pick up a digital multimeter.

A cheap one is 15 bucks a good one is 40+ but the cheap ones work just fine.

Test the rails with the DMM and then +.- the reading and adjust mbm5 accordingly to get your onboard sensors as close to correct as you can.

Neither is accurate. The onboard power measuring circuitry is cheap and crappy and MBM5 just queries it. Plug a multimeter into a Molex plug, black into black, red into red, and that'll give you your true 12v reading. Within 5% either way is acceptable.

I think that the red molex line is +5V. The yellow is +12V. ;)

Thanks guys!

I feel a lot better now! The only other reading I have questions about now is the CPU volts.

the DFI mobo says I'm at 1.35, but MBM5 says 1.33. I have it set to 1.35 in the Bios but I would like to know how much juice I'm actually giving the CPU.

I"m guessing that just like with the PSU, I should ignore the MBM5 reading and assume that the DFI reading is correct?

Also looks like I'm off to the store for a multimeter :) Seems like a good investment.

Thanks guys!

I feel a lot better now! The only other reading I have questions about now is the CPU volts.

the DFI mobo says I'm at 1.35, but MBM5 says 1.33. I have it set to 1.35 in the Bios but I would like to know how much juice I'm actually giving the CPU.

I"m guessing that just like with the PSU, I should ignore the MBM5 reading and assume that the DFI reading is correct?

Also looks like I'm off to the store for a multimeter :) Seems like a good investment.

It's been my experience that the CPU voltage is very, very close to the value chosen in the BIOS. You can check this with a multi, but it's a bit scary for someone who's never done it. There is a guide around here somewhere that shows the measuring points.

Personally, I just set it in the BIOS and assume that that is what it is.

Get that multimeter, though. It's a good investment!

Good Luck!