3800 X2 installed

After switching from single core to dual core would he need to do a fresh install of xp?

No. If following the advice given in some of the mentioned guides there's no need to, but if a system isn't thoroughly tested that might become necessary because of file corruption.

Was wondering if should do a clean install of xp. Oh well only be my 4th time lol. How do you find the txt file after running prime95?

Even though some come around this without that, it could be a faster and less painful process. I hope you get it right. By now the amounts of useful guides is very good.

Sorry if asking any stupid questions. Am new to dual core and bios settings. Just got sick of ripping a dvd and not being able to do anything else.

No. If following the advice given in some of the mentioned guides there's no need to, but if a system isn't thoroughly tested that might become necessary because of file corruption.

Really?

I tought the system would only see a single core because when windows was installed on a single core machine, the HAL installed was for a sigle core only...

in the device manage it says "APCI single core Processor" whereas a multi core system would have "APCI Multicore processor"....

I maybe wrong but it seems I saw this here somewhere....

Really?

I tought the system would only see a single core because when windows was installed on a single core machine, the HAL installed was for a sigle core only...

in the device manage it says "APCI single core Processor" whereas a multi core system would have "APCI Multicore processor"....

I maybe wrong but it seems I saw this here somewhere....

See, my above post. And yes my first post was a bit carelessly written. Sorry! (I read it once more and it looks strange, I agree).

Of course a clean installation is the best way to go.