Sign in to follow this  
whackattack

Please help, can't boot with 2 sticks

Finnaly pinpointed the same exact problem after my system would not boot up.

System wont boot up with any memory in orange slot closest to processor.

Has anyone been able to fix this problem ?

I switched out motherboards to a different manufacturer and everything works, so it's definitely the board. Given the number of reported issues and DFI's lack of response, this is going to be the last DFI board I buy. I suggest everyone go ahead and RMA their board since I doubt there will be a BIOS fix for this.

You mean from this site?? I found this thread

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...04&postcount=24

and doing it now as far the oj slot by Cpu mine has always worked.. but sure is tight squeez.. we really do need more room once the CPU fan is on..

BTW Angry told me to wait at least 8 hrs. :( but if it does the trick I dont care :-) I can wait just my hubby saying, 'Cant you go play your game". LOL.. Told him NOPE.

I switched out motherboards to a different manufacturer and everything works, so it's definitely the board. Given the number of reported issues and DFI's lack of response, this is going to be the last DFI board I buy. I suggest everyone go ahead and RMA their board since I doubt there will be a BIOS fix for this.

Me too. The only support I have been getting is about clearing CMOS for rediculous amounts of time, and unplugging/plugging back in things that are unrelated to the issue. I should have stuck with MSI...

still have a 200$ ram stick on my desk that i cant use in dual channel since i unpluged my psu 2 weeks ago, beeeep.

basicly it start with, buy the elite parts or we can't help you, then it's we can't help you go clear you cmos for a week, we can't help you until then, you are the problem so go read, once you read for 2 weeks, sorry we can't help you, did you expect us to help you or something, we suggest you RMA everything for a month until it works again, we ask you to get elite stuff, but don't expect too much from us as far as elite advice, we aint got it, dont expect them to design a good board, they can't even troubleshoot it, think we can? we are quick to blame you and tell you to get more expensive components claiming we are at the same elite lvl as these components, sorry that's pretty much all we can offer now, I guess this forum is not what is used to be.

Same problem, except a dual channel config worked for a while on my computer, about 2 weeks. Now it doesn't work again. It worked 2 days ago...

Same problem, except a dual channel config worked for a while on my computer, about 2 weeks. Now it doesn't work again. It worked 2 days ago...

A lot of people seem to be experiencing this. It seems the boards work fine in DC for a while, then quit. I plan to RMA the board, sell it, and get a motherboard from MSI. I can't stand these headaches/cuts on my hand from fooling around in my computer. Besides, I have work/school that needs to be done on my rig, I don't have time to fiddle with fickle hardware...

I have had this problem since the start. It's bloody ridiculous. And the advice is nearly always irrelevant. Seriously, is clearing the CMOS for 10 days really going to make dual channel work if it never worked in the first place? And why should we have to do stuff like this to get the basics working???

here is what I did today,

-Replaced the chipset fan with vc-re

-Tried to reboot after, it wouldnt, black screen with only fans running and 3 red lights.

-Removed a memory stick from the orange slot near cpu, it booted.

-Put back the stick in it's place, no boot, single long beep, repeatedly.

-Unpluged, remove battery, clear cmos, load optimized default with one stick, it boots, put in second stick, no boot, long beep.

can someone help to troubleshoot this, the sticks used one at a time in the orange slot near the side of the board work, but one stick in orange near cpu dosent boot, and two sticks dosent boot, long beep.

thanks,

-Whacky

I feel your pain. Check out this thread to see if anything in there works for you. I can't get two sticks to boot at all. http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69162

Check this out from this thread: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69310

All right, a breakthrough discovery was made today after I went to DFI distributor today.

I brought along my board, CPU, 2 pairs of RAMs for them to test.

The DFI distributor was nice enough to help troubleshoot my problem. They have carried out these steps:-

1) Tested and confirmed my problem was true with the items i have.

2) Opened up new DFI NF4 SLI-DR Expert to test, cannot boot dual channel.

3) Opened up new DFI NF4 Ultra-D to test, cannot boot dual channel.

4) Opened up new DFI CFX3200-DR to test, cannot boot dual channel.

5) Changed my RAM with their old Kingston RAM 2 x 256mb single sided, BOOT dual channel. RAM chip written "Kingston", but i think Kingston is not making own RAM chip.

Before giving up, the distributor made a call to a "computer expert" to seek advice. That "expert" just say one thing, "the processor".

When I heard that, I feel like, "What!? what to do with processor?? my processor is FX man..."

Unwillingly, I change my CPU with DFI old Athlon 64 3000+ CPU to test. what's next? THE SYSTEM BOOT DUAL CHANNEL, WITH ALL TYPES OF RAM THROWN IN!!!!!!!!!!!! I was speechless when i saw that. When i changed back my processor, dual channel boot failed again.

The distributor kept telling me that dont worry my processor was fine, was a good one...well if my cpu was damaged then i wont be able to use it all this while.

The distributor said they will liase with DFI Taiwan engineering section as well as AMD to sort out the solution. DFI or AMD may directly contact me if needed.

Personally i think this is not AMD FX problem, but more to mainboard compatibility problem. This is a really new discovery, the moderator may can make some comments about this in FAQ or something.

Ohh ya there is one interesting thing during the test. The distributor tried a wierd way to put the RAM as follow:-

CPU : My FX-55

Slot 1 : Value RAM

Slot 2 : Value RAM

Slot 3 : HyperX RAM

Slot 4 : HyperX RAM

Guess what? The system BOOT and printed DUAL CHANNEL, 3.6Gb RAM ... LOL... this shouldn't happen.

I am now back at home running the system with single channel mode. fail to run at rated 2326-1T at stock voltage. Adjusted to 2336-1T at 2.8V at the moment.