Sign in to follow this  
whackattack

Please help, can't boot with 2 sticks

I have tried nearly every BIOS on Tony's TMOD CD. If I here one more long beep I am gona lose it.

I tried with the settings from RyderOCZ a few post above, no luck with my socket 939, this has to be the most random troubleshooting I have seen on this board

Have you checked the speeds of the memory on MemTest. If one stick is faster/slower than the other, then DUAL CHANNEL will not work. THey will need to be RMA'd. Check them seperately. Start Memtest write down the speed. THen power down. Repeat for the second stick and if they are the same then there you go :)

Hi guys maybe i can shed some light on the situation, i too have the same problem been running my board for over a year then one day the same thing happend. I can now run in single chan (slots 1+2) but not dual (slots 2+4). i thought it was the board my new dfi ultra-d arrived this morning and low and behold the same problem on the new board! i too have a opteron cpu (opty 148). I have spoken to a few people in the know and they seem to think it could be the memory controller on the cpu! i am going to my friends house this weekend to test his 3200+ venice in my comp if this boots in dual channel then i will have the answer!

in the mean time try clearing cmos, then flashing back to a older bios as i am going to do later tonite (After i get home from work)

still have the same problem with my socket 939, at one point it would work in single channel, an now wont anymore, im sure it was with optimized defaults, and now it wont work in single channel even in the same conditions, veryy odd, thanks for the help, hopefully things can get back to normal soon :/

I just tried removing my new Opteron 146 and replacing it with my A64 3200+ Venice and I still get the beeps in dual channel mode, works fine in single channel. I'm concerned now because someone has said that replacing the motherboard doesn't work, but they also said they replaced it with another DFI board, and I'm not sure if this problem affects other board manufacturers. I've got a spare Asrock board here, but not much time to test it right now. I'll try putting the Operton in that and seeing if it runs in dual channel mode, but I'm guessing this is a voltage issue DFI motherboards that they're refusing to address. I'm going to start a thread at a few more tech sites and see what comes up.

hi there gimp although this will take a while i will be testing both my opty 148 in my friends asus board and try his 3200+ in my dfi board will see what i can come up with! will be doing a hardcore testing session this sunday! will come back with my results :D but i agree DFI need to address this problem as it is seriously ticking me off and putting me off DFI boards as i now have 2 DFI boards both pretty much brand spanking new that suffer from the same problem

is the problem in the board or the opterons???

Also, is the problem with all opterons or just some...???

I have had an Opteron 144 in this board and dual channel worked just fine, but I should mention that the reason I went back to a 3200+ is because my Opteron fried itself :( I was overclocking, but voltage was stock so I don't really know why it died.

i have tried alot of settings, please throw in your advice, getting desperate, this 2gig kit has been working for the last 3 months on my 4000+ and now long beep, wont boot unless it has only 1gig(1 stick) in orange slot near the edge

update, the ram passes memtest, both stick individualy, cmos cleared for 8 hours, tried optmized defaults, settings from the forum's stock speed database, Mushkin recommended settings, and RGone's initial build settings, those sticks have been running fine for 4 months, but now will only boot with one stick in orange near edge