Please help, can't boot with 2 sticks

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand how adjusting BIOS setting will fix this. If the memory is on the official DFI list of supported dual channel memory, how could default settings (after cmos clear) on the official DFI BIOSes not work?

I mentioned in my thread that most of the time we see these problems, an opteron is the CPU. RGone noted that a few other members were having troubles getting dual channel to work on their mobo's, but an a64 worked fine. Does anyone else have any evidence that would hold the opteron at fault?

I don't understand how adjusting BIOS setting will fix this. If the memory is on the official DFI list of supported dual channel memory, how could default settings (after cmos clear) on the official DFI BIOSes not work?

I mentioned in my thread that most of the time we see these problems, an opteron is the CPU. RGone noted that a few other members were having troubles getting dual channel to work on their mobo's, but an a64 worked fine. Does anyone else have any evidence that would hold the opteron at fault?

could be that opteron can cause some problems, i couldnt say since i have a socket 939, but as an example of settings, this board main advantage is the ram settings, so it dosen't necessarily default to best settings that work for all rams setups recommended, for example, two sticks will require more power than one, so need to increase voltage from default, also bank interleave and all the ram timmings, and could be settings required for dual channel, wich is what i am waiting for someone to come up with as incredibly enough i havent got any suggestions for ram settings after two days of posting and doing multiple all that was recomended, even the recomendations that were closer to voodoo rituals than straight to the point troubleshoot that allow to draw constructive conclusions...

That option is the CPC or command per clock. It is either enabled, disabled, or auto. Enabled = 1T, disabled = 2T.

I am about to try these settings from the ocz forums posted by RyderOCZ for the 704-2BTA BIOS. I will post back here with the results.

FSB Bus Frequency............................. 200

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... Auto

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... Auto

PCI eXpress Frequency......................... 100

CPU Voltage .................................. Auto

LDT Voltage .................................. 1.20

ChipSet (NF4) Voltage ........................ 1.50

DRAM Voltage ................................. 2.60v

+0.03 if not 3.2V ............................ enable

Memclock (DRAM Frequency) .................... 200

1T/2T Timing (Command Per Clock).............. 1T

CAS Latency (Tcl)............................. 2T

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... 3T

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... 8T

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... 2T

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... 10T

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... 16T

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... 3T

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... 3T

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... 2T

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... 3T

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... 3120

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... Enabled

DQS Skew Control.............................. Auto

DQS Skew Value................................ 0

DRAM Drive Strength........................... Normal 3

DRAM Data Drive Strength...................... Level 1

Max Async Latency............................. 8ns

DRAM Response Time............................ Normal

Read Preamble Time............................ 6ns

IdleCycle Limit............................... 256

Dynamic Counter............................... Disable

R/W Queue Bypass.............................. 16x

Bypass Max.................................... 4x

32 Byte Granularity........................... Disable (4 Bursts)

update: the system can boot in single channel with two sticks(total 2gig) but not in dual channel in the orange slots, both sticks pass mem test and have been working in dual channel fine for the last few months, but they only setup that works now is the closest slots to the side of the board, one in orange one in yellow, but wont boot with two in orange, but will boot with any of the two sticks in the orange slot near the edge.

I'm having roughly this same problem. I upgraded my CPU to an opteron 146 from an Athlon 64 3200+ venice and now I can't run in dual channel mode. I've tried different sticks of RAM too and I still get the BIOS memory error. If DFI doesn't address this issue in some way, this Infinity SLI will be the last motherboard of theirs I purchase.

is it just me or is there a BUNCH of people with the exact same problem...

yea, there used to be support for these problems, and you didnt have to do random trail and error for 3 days, my fingers are burning from switching modules around

I also can't boot with two sticks of mem. Been running the same setup for close to a year. Yesturday I get the long beeps. Take computer apart and reseat everything several times. Couldn't find the problem. Started from scratch with just one stick of mem and computer fired right up with ram in either top slot. With same module in bottom(closest to CPU) slots the computer won't boot.

The question is it the CPU or the motherboard? Since the mem controller is on the CPU it could be either. I don't have an extra socket 939 CPU to try. If it does it with a different CPU then it is the board.