Please help, can't boot with 2 sticks

here is what I did today,

-Replaced the chipset fan with vc-re

-Tried to reboot after, it wouldnt, black screen with only fans running and 3 red lights.

-Removed a memory stick from the orange slot near cpu, it booted.

-Put back the stick in it's place, no boot, single long beep, repeatedly.

-Unpluged, remove battery, clear cmos, load optimized default with one stick, it boots, put in second stick, no boot, long beep.

can someone help to troubleshoot this, the sticks used one at a time in the orange slot near the side of the board work, but one stick in orange near cpu dosent boot, and two sticks dosent boot, long beep.

thanks,

-Whacky

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try unplugging The 24 pin connector from the board for a few minutes. I had the same problem when changing to different CPU once.

i have tried, it still wont boot with 2 sticks, wont boot with one stick in orange slot near cpu, only setup that works is one stick in orange slot closest side of board

i have tried, it still wont boot with 2 sticks, wont boot with one stick in orange slot near cpu, only setup that works is one stick in orange slot closest side of board

lol, I was going to say that to try one in the slot closest to edge but I guess thats the only way it works. Did u run memtest86 on it?

Searched and found this:

1. Clear CMOS - Follow the instruction from this site. It should be in one of the stick'ed threads.

2. When you clear CMOS, disconnect everything that'd possibly conduct electricity. Monitors, external hard drives, etc. Take out the board battery. In other words, completely disconnect the board from electricity.

3. Leave the machine like that for at least 10 mins.

4. Now, connect the peripherals back, except the power supply.

5. Before you connect/turn on the PSU, press and hold the "Insert" key on your keyboard. Make sure you use a PS/2 keyboard, not a USB one.

6. With the "Insert" key press down, now turn on the PSU and turn the system on.

7. Now the board's LEDs will behave normally. Right after you see only 2 LEDs lit, press the "Del" key. (You can lift the finger on the "Insert" key now)

8. Get in the BIOS. "Load setup default" and save/exit.

9. Unplug the PSU and give it a couple mins.

10. After that hope everything will be back to normal.

-Mako3

When did you start having this issue? Have you tried the modules in the yellow slots? Okay put back on stick at a time and run Memtest86 with the correct voltage and timings. See if you get any errors on Test#5. Which Bios version are you running on your motherboard? Get back to us....

k, each stick runs memtest, ill make a longer memtest , my bios is probly not up to date altho it has been running fine for months using rgone's settings, any advice on wich to use and procedure to flash it?

When did you start having this issue? Have you tried the modules in the yellow slots? Okay put back on stick at a time and run Memtest86 with the correct voltage and timings. See if you get any errors on Test#5. Which Bios version are you running on your motherboard? Get back to us....

i started having the long beeps problem yesterday after changing the chipset fan for vc-re, everything went fine, but long beep when rebooting, for the yellow slots its the same problem as orange, works with one stick near the edge of the board but long beep and wont boot when i add the second stick, both stick pass memtest when tested individualy, no errors on test5, and of course cant test both at the same time because it wont boot or post anything with two sticks. help :(

-W

I'm having the same problem, as are many others. I was formerly running VX modules (same as your redline) and one day it wouldn't boot dual channel. I noticed the 5V rail on my psu was red, so I adjusted it back to green (check this on yours). I think I may have fried the dimm slot with too much voltage cause now it won't boot in dual channel for anything.

I'm having the same problem, as are many others. I was formerly running VX modules (same as your redline) and one day it wouldn't boot dual channel. I noticed the 5V rail on my psu was red, so I adjusted it back to green (check this on yours). I think I may have fried the dimm slot with too much voltage cause now it won't boot in dual channel for anything.

k, i checked mine as well to make sure and it's green, dosent seem to be the problem, hopefully someone will log in soon with some advice, because i had the same problem on my initial build and it was fixed with adjusting bios settings, hopefully we can get this resolved, there are a few of us with this same problem right now.