Sign in to follow this  
pclstyle

Upgraded chipset hs/fan and CPU hs/f, comp keeps restarting :(

I upgraded the chipset hs/f to the one stickied, and the cpu hs/fan on my mobo to Arctic Freezer 64. Now, my computer keeps restarting. All the fans are working fine- smart guardian shows their temps at their lowest they've ever been. However, after a few minutes in windows, my computer restarts, and the whole thing reboots. It does it repeatedly- every time, I get through a few minutes in windows, then bang.

Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure the thermal paste and contacts are good, especially since the temps are doing good. Voltages and everything are stable too. Didn't change any settings at all. Everything is exactly the same, except the new hs/fans. :confused:

Make sure all your power connectors on your board are seated propely as well as memory sticks, use optimise settings, and run memtest to see if bpard is stable then reoverclock somethng has obviously changed this is whatg I'd do to start looking for it.LOL

You could try going to "Control Panel"-> "Administrative Tools"-> "Event Viewer" and look for error messages.

Alternative: got to "Control Panel"-> "System"-> "Advanced"-> "Startup and Recovery". Click on "Settings" and uncheck "Automatically restart".

If this is a Windows / driver problem you should see some error messages.

Since you do have the powerstream, I would recomend checking the back of the psu, are all the LEDs green? Go through this and see how much your at. If your PSU is a year or older add 20% on the bottom two options I did a quick go through with your OCs, and if your PC is a year or older, then as of now you need 534w.

Any suggestions? I'm pretty sure the thermal paste and contacts are good, especially since the temps are doing good. Voltages and everything are stable too. Didn't change any settings at all. Everything is exactly the same, except the new hs/fans. :confused:

Humm....if only the chipset fan has been replaced, I wonder if you didn't crack the chipset core....that part where you have to put your chipset HSF back on top of the chipset can be dangerous....I just cleaned the yellow thermal goop and applied AS5 this weekend...but didn't start the machine as I sold my x2 and am waiting for my opty to arrive....I just hope I didnt'crack the damn thing....

but the cpu fan was also replaced, im wondering if he has enough power. If his system is a year+ then he already doesnt have enough power, and those to fans, arnet helping b/c they take up a fair amount of power. Now im not talking like 100w or anything, but they are high for fans.

but the cpu fan was also replaced, im wondering if he has enough power.

Well....he does have a powerstream....I don't think that would be his problem...

I used the psu calculator above, and added 20% to surge compensation and capacitor aging. That would push him over 520w

thanks for the replies, figured it out...

apparently my ram hates yellow slots- i had shifted them during the hs/fan upgrade because the arctic freezer makes it necessary to sort of "wedge" the closest ram stick under the base of the heatsink. Instead of doing this I had moved the ram to the yellow slots, which made my whole system somewhat unstable (read: very). Once I returned the sticks to the orange slots, everything ran smoothly, and has been doing fine since last night (8 hours).

Don't know what the heck is up with this orange/yellow slot business- i had thought it was just a rumor. Glad things are working, but there's a little horizontal pressure being placed on the bottom RAM stick and subsequently the DIMM slot- by the Arctic Freezer hs, which I would like to eliminate. Anyone with a similar setup have any suggestions for something that might have worked for them?