Oc'ing An Asus A7n8x Deluxe---problems-----please

Saggitarius

Hey all,

I am finally comfortable enough with my system to start trying to overclock it. I had prior to this message had the same board, but a PCB 1.04 that kept suffering from the BIOS death syndrome, but have since gotten a PCB 2.0.

Anyhow, here are my system specs:

ASUS A7N8X deluxe (2.0)

AMD Athlon XP 2600+ (333FSB)

(2) Crucial Technologies 256MB DDR400 Ram

ATI Radeon 9200 128MB(DDR) 8x AGP

40G HDD (Maxtor) Primary drive, 3 partitions (20/10/10)

80G HDD (Maxtor) Storage drive

16x Sony DVD ROM

52x LG CDRW

Volcano 11- HSF

(2) Tt SMARTFANs (1 exhaust, 1 intake)

(2) Cheap fans on top for exhaust

Enermax 350W dual fan PSU

Cheap Case

Hardcano 10 Fan controller (two USB, one FireWire)

Ceramique thermal paste

So, after letting Prime95 run for two hours at stock BIOS settings and getting a max temp (using ASUS Probe) of 46, I felt I was ready to OC the beast. I go into the BIOS and change my multiplier to 11.0x by 200FSB (2200MHz) which I have done before on one stick of generic 512MB DDR333 ram prior. I always get a "System failed memory test" when I reboot, and have to clear the CMOS in order to get back. What should I do? Do I need to up some voltages somewhere? Which ones? I have seen posts by others on this forum with much better OC 's than what I am attempting, so I need some help here.

Thanks

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well up the voltage on the ram to vdimm 2.8 and lossen up the timings cas2.5 4-4-11 and see if 200 works if you still get the check sum error your ram wont oc to 200mhz . your only other option is get as high a fsb you can from the mem probally around 170-190 just got to find that out yourself or just get sum 3200 ram you can get 2 sticks of 3200 for under a 100bucks if you look around . is also increase the cpu voltage to 1.75 just to keep things stable

Edited by fanATIc1205

just get sum 3200 ram you can get 2 sticks of 3200 for under a 100bucks if you look around .

I AM using Crucial Technologies DDR400 256MB ram, two sticks, in the two like colored slots on my board currently. I was told this was decent RAM, and also the best available to me at a local big name computer store in my area. My machine is WAY faster at certain tasks now than it was with the generic 512MB DDR333 stick I had prior, but alas my OC ability (so far) isn't. I will try some other settings and report what happens after I finish some other work I am doing right now.

THANKS

Did u overclock it gradually and not all at once? lower the fsb slowly until you dont get that error, that is probably the max for your memory cause its obvious thats whats holding you up.

You should never listen to what a salesman tells you, cause hes just trying to sell you something, hence the name.

Its not bad memory for a non-overclocked board but corsair xms and mushkin are the only 2 companies i would buy memory from.

If i were you i would get some corsair xms pc3200 at the least. You can get it in matched sets too.

Yeah... be careful. I burnt my board out because I messed with the memory timings (Maybe it would have helped if I wasn't using generic memory but heh, it was dirt cheap :D).

Also, try putting the multiplyer up to 12.5 and start the FSB at 175 and work your way up from there... I do recommend you get something better than the retail fan if you're gonna do this. As good as it is, I get scared whenever my temp goes past 45'. (Thats why I water cool :))

Thanks for all the tips, I will be trying them soon and report back when I get stable settings.

I have another question regarding the Dual Memory Channel. Which DIMM slots should I be using, or does it matter? The ASUS motherboard book doesn't state anything specific in this regard. I am using the two slots that are the same colour (black or brown?) which I believe are slots two and three. Should I use the opposite coloured slots (1 and 3) to get full advantage of the dual channel.

Also, I have the setting in the BIOS for the RAM at 100%, is this ok or should I have it By SPD? My FSB on the CPU is 333MHz and my ram is DDR 400MHz. I heard that if the ram is higher than the CPU bus, it can actually make things worse. This confused me at first (why would you want DDR400 is your CPU is only 333) but I learned that it is due to the overclocking, if I only had DDR333 then I could only get so much out of my memory, so up to DDR400 I went.

your running in dual channel dont sweat it . the 2600+ uses a multi of 12.5 so going to 200fsb with that multi will probally lock the systems try a lower multi and go for the 200fsb. i thought you had pc2700ram but that ram you have should be fine you dont need anything better it will probally overclock past stock speeds and matched pairs dosent mean jack its just 2 sticks mamufactured one after the other test to stated speeds and put in a dual package its the same as buying 2 seperate sticks of the same ram. lower the multi and raise the fsb give the cpu a lil more voltage 2200mhz shouldnt be a problem with that cpu id upp the vdimm to 2.8

Edited by fanATIc1205

OK folks, I have finally started to OC my system.

I upped the vdimm to 2.8v, upped the vcore to 1.75, then set the multiplier to 11.0x and 200FSB. SiSoft Sandra show that I actually have 11 x 198 as my current speed (2187)

I forgot to change my memory timings, and got that memory failed test message again, but the computer still booted into XP.

My next question(s) is (are).........

How long do I need to run tests (like Prime95) to make sure the system is stable at this setting? I ran it for about 5 mins and was getting diode temps (using MBM5) of almost 80c. My HSF fan was nearly spinning at top speed before I stopped the test. The socket temp (again using MBM5) got to about 55c as well.

Are these acceptable temps? read the signature for system components.

THANKS

I usually clock the FSB up a couple MHz and do my everyday business. then, when I feel the system is stable enough, I clock it up a bit more the next time I boot. I continue that until I'm happy. (I was happy even when the system was underclocked but hey, happy means uber happy)

I forgot to change my memory timings, and got that memory failed test message again, but the computer still booted into XP.

are you talking about the speech post reporter. that says system failed memory test? if you are then dont worry about that its a known bug in the speech reporter it dosnt mean anything. some times it will say that some times it wont.

are you talking about the speech post reporter. that says system failed memory test? if you are then dont worry about that its a known bug in the speech reporter it dosnt mean anything. some times it will say that some times it wont.

Yes, that is the message I am talking about.

I still need to know how long I should be running Prime95 to test this overclock.

I also wanna ask something about my heatsink. I believe I read that I should re-apply the thermal paste after about 150 hours of operation. Is this correct?