RS482 Liberty Issues

Well I just got my new biostar TForce6100-939, and it doesn't restart, but one of the ram slots are dead. I will be going on motherboard number 5 within about a 2 month period when i send this back :(. I don't know how much more of this I can take. Now, I don't know whether to take my chances with Biostar again(who have sent me two defective boards in a row, one with broken NIC, and now this one with a broken ram slot) or try another RS482, cause to me it sounds like luck of the draw.

If this is a known issue with the RS482, how come the tech support doesn't know anything about it?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys I need to explain a few things regarding PSU's rails, outputs etc etc.

The Inquirer arcticle was a little misleading, i actually talk to John Bruno and did mention this fact to him already. The issue he was seeing was with the 600W powerstream and ATI's testing of crossfire. The 600W powerstream has what you guys will call 2 12V rails, one rail supplies the atx header and the 12V aux and the other supplies everything else. Now when john was testing crossfire he was overloading the second line thats rated at 18A.

I know some guys have actually modified the 600W powerstream to join the outputs and they have no issues as the loads are balanced over the 2 12V outputs. Now im NOT tellingy you to do this but i just thought I had to explain what the article should have said.

Most multi rail PSU's have actually got 1 fat 12v rail that is split into 3 or 4 outputs with OCP on each line, this is to bring the cable sizes down to what you see on a psu and to provide protection to those cables and to the motherboard...the Game extreme has 4 12v outputs protected by individual OCP outputs, 1 for the mobo, one for the aux line, and the last 2 for the PCIE 12v connections.As you see each 18A on each 12V pcie line will easy cope where 2 cards drawing off 1 18A line on the powerstream would overload it as hdd's, fans, pumps, watercooling etc were all coming off the same line also.

Now, the RS482 issues.

I had mine running off a 520W powerstream, and a beta 600W beta Evo stream, and a 600W game extreme and a 700W game extreme. I primed the setup on the powerstream, I tested the board also on the Evo and the 700W GE just to see how it did....I ran it 24/7 on the 600W GE for 4 weeks folding Rosetta. Now this was my HTPC, fully watercooled with a 600W GE psu....no heat and no psu issues.

After 3 weeks of FAULTLESS uptime it started rebooting, no warning, no bluescreen, nothing. I checked the event log ofter each reboot i saw and it said nothing. I had installed no updates, no drivers, nothing...it just folded, played MP3's and outputted TV for me.

Now...i could swap to other PSU's but i doubt it will cure it, I know running the dual rail 600w powerstream would have run it just fine as 1 video card and the motherboard etc would in no way overload the 2 12 lines. Im in contact with DFI under Rgones guideance and hopefully we will find what is happening.

Guys I need to explain a few things regarding PSU's rails, outputs etc etc.

The Inquirer arcticle was a little misleading, i actually talk to John Bruno and did mention this fact to him already. The issue he was seeing was with the 600W powerstream and ATI's testing of crossfire. The 600W powerstream has what you guys will call 2 12V rails, one rail supplies the atx header and the 12V aux and the other supplies everything else. Now when john was testing crossfire he was overloading the second line thats rated at 18A.

I know some guys have actually modified the 600W powerstream to join the outputs and they have no issues as the loads are balanced over the 2 12V outputs. Now im NOT tellingy you to do this but i just thought I had to explain what the article should have said.

Most multi rail PSU's have actually got 1 fat 12v rail that is split into 3 or 4 outputs with OCP on each line, this is to bring the cable sizes down to what you see on a psu and to provide protection to those cables and to the motherboard...the Game extreme has 4 12v outputs protected by individual OCP outputs, 1 for the mobo, one for the aux line, and the last 2 for the PCIE 12v connections.As you see each 18A on each 12V pcie line will easy cope where 2 cards drawing off 1 18A line on the powerstream would overload it as hdd's, fans, pumps, watercooling etc were all coming off the same line also.

Now, the RS482 issues.

I had mine running off a 520W powerstream, and a beta 600W beta Evo stream, and a 600W game extreme and a 700W game extreme. I primed the setup on the powerstream, I tested the board also on the Evo and the 700W GE just to see how it did....I ran it 24/7 on the 600W GE for 4 weeks folding Rosetta. Now this was my HTPC, fully watercooled with a 600W GE psu....no heat and no psu issues.

After 3 weeks of FAULTLESS uptime it started rebooting, no warning, no bluescreen, nothing. I checked the event log ofter each reboot i saw and it said nothing. I had installed no updates, no drivers, nothing...it just folded, played MP3's and outputted TV for me.

Now...i could swap to other PSU's but i doubt it will cure it, I know running the dual rail 600w powerstream would have run it just fine as 1 video card and the motherboard etc would in no way overload the 2 12 lines. Im in contact with DFI under Rgones guideance and hopefully we will find what is happening.

pleease post here if and when you fix the problem.

• 3 weeks later...

hmmmm well just got my rig put up together, and em using a dual rail psu HEC winpower 550w ab, lucky for me i have'nt experience this sort of problem, since i have oc'ed it.

i think there is a compatibility issue here between the motherboard and the enermax liberty psu. i have read on the other forums they also have the same problem using this motherboard and enermax liberty 500 watts psu. i hope dfi will do something about this problem if really proven there is a compatibity issue between the two.

DFI RS482 INfinity

A64 Venice 3000 running @ 2.75ghz

Thermaltake Blue Orb II

2x512 Gskill Gbfx extreme Series

Nvidia 6800 GS

Zalman Vf900 CU led

2 Zalman OP1 ( case fan)

Seagate 200gb Sata

Seagate 200gb Ide

Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-109

Hec Win Power 550w ab PSU

Silver Q-Pack w/ windows

DeMolayEmblemsmall.jpg

I've been using this board with an XClio 450BL since it first came out. Recently I tried plugging in my OCZ Powerstream 600W and got reboot city. Put the XClio back and it's golden again. Maybe there should be a compatibility list somewhere?

• 1 month later...

I am getting a similar setup with 2x512 ddr400 Gskill and Xclio 450bl psu, and a 165 Opty. I will post if there are any reboots. On another note related to ATI chipsets and dual rail psu's I have an MSI ms7093 w/ ATI 200 chipset, 3700 Sandy oc'ed to 2517mhz, and a Ultra xfinity 350w (dual 12v). Had exactly same issue for awhile, could not find the cause no error logs, temp issues nothing ,and it seems to have stopped. I was leaning towards it being software related but even a clean install didn't fix it, but the fact that it stopped has me wondering what was up. Since the MSI was the family PC and everyone uses it I had figured the kids did something to the settings. Who knows. I see that others using the xclio 450bl w/rs482 have had good stablity but that PSU uses dual rails also. I am thinking maybe it is chipset related and hope I don't have this problem after I put everything together.

• 1 month later...

Very sorry for ressurecting this thread, but I've been having these strange reboot problems as well. I've tried in total 4 powersupplies: an Antec Truecontrol 550 watt, Enermax Liberty 550 and 620 watt PSUs, and finally an OCZ GameXStream 600 watt powersupply. The GameXstream's rails are incredibly solid, if a bit high at times. The last one is the only one I believe which is "approved" For ATI Crossfire, though this should hardly be a deciding factor. All of them seem to reboot in various frequencies.

Eventually I did try and solve the problem by RMAing the RS482 to DFI on the 10th of August (excellent circulation time by the way), under the pretext that the motherboard ceased to boot at ALL in the beginning of august. It seems the problem was fixed untill this week, where the motherboard began to reboot again. I assume they replaced my motherboard, which leads me to believe that the problem wasnt an isolated issue, and an issue with many rs482 motherboards..

Has a fix been found for these reboots? they drive me crazy.. rebooting while I'm typing essays and the like, or something equally important.. >.<

so its just a matter of finding the right psu??????

can i ask a dumb question, some of these psus dont have that 115/220 switch on the back, what is it called, active something fc or whatever, is it possible all these psus that bomb on the board flucuate because of the self aware thing? just throwing an idea out there, dont mind me, im just wondering why some folks have this issue, scares me because i didnt know this before ordering the board