Burning A 7.54gb Movie ?

losmi8

hey,

i bought a sony 510a dvd burner. i tired to copy a dvd movie, but it was 7.54GB, my dvd+r was only 4.7gb. can someone please explain the difference between dvd-r, dvd+r, and dvd-ram...can my burner burn dvd-ram ? i saw they were selling 9.54GB dvd-ram (rewritable) on gateway.com

thanks!!!

milos

the dvd you were burning was probably dual layer. i don't have a dvd burner yet, but i remember reading that dual layer dvd burners will probably not make it to the consumer market. the cost would make for a very limited market.

check out www.doom9.net they have many guids on ripping dvd's and backing them up, and what to do with dual layer dvds.

this is something the companies have thought out. the idea behind this is to keep you from duplicating retail dvds. this was soemthing that they didn't do with cd burners, and it led to some major problems for cd companies... they WON'T make the same mistake with dvds.

the only solutions is 321 studio's DVD X copy. it'll span 2 recordable dvds thus making up for the extra space. as a long time owner of a dvd burner I can tell you this is not only the BEST but the only program that does it right.

Use a program called DVD2One, it will rip out the unnecessary stuff like closed caption, other languages.

There is a 3 step process to this that I find works way better than DVD X Copy, mainly cause it works on every movie I've tried so far.

1. Rip the DVD with DVDDecrypter using the 'select main movie files' option

2. Use DVD2One to take out the unnecessary stuff mentioned above

3. Put 'processed' files into a folder called VIDEO_TS , burn the folder and contents to the root of a DVD disc with Nero 6.

Works for any size of DVD. Video quality only suffers a very small amount that you can usually never tell anyway. Also you can take out audio tracks that you won't use, such as French, or maybe Spanish or whatever.

Also those DVD-RAM discs are like RW's. Except better, but don't use them for a DVD movie unless you only want to watch in your computer.

Edited by LobbDogg

not unless the DVD player will play a DVD-RAM. I personally haven't seen one that will. Primarily they are used for backup, definitely a good form of backup for sure though.

Also this will make a movie fit onto one DVD rather than 2 DVDs. Much much better than DVD X Copy.

Edited by LobbDogg

:D We know we realy live in a consumer world when a company trys to make a machine that will not do this and that, for someone to make something that will do it. I wonder why they go trough all this trouble for nothing ,someone will always find a way to make it work especially when it's about computers and programming :lol:

DVD burners prices are comming down fast,just check when you buy one if there's everything on it, it might be worth the few bucks more ;)

Edited by kobalt