Odd power up issue (Seasonic related?)...

Guest Bobdude

Guest ShogunCS

Hey guys, I was wondering if you would have any insight to this strange problem that I have not been able to pinpoint. I believe the problem I am having has to do with my Seasonic 600w PSU (revision A02) and my DFI Lanparty Expert NF4 mobo. Anyhow, the problem is that when I attempt to power up my PC via the power button on my case, I have to press the button about 2-3 times to get the PC powered up. BUT, I found out that if I simply hit the power switch on the back of my Seasonic PSU from off to on and then hit the power button on the PC, the PC powers up fine. Any ideas what could be causing this odd problem? I do know that Seasonic PSUs and DFI mobos have had issues recently but supposed the new revision 2s (my rev. is A02 or something like that) of the Seasonic PSUs fixed all of the problems. Perhaps there is a simple fix or setting that I must change in order to correct this annoying problem? Any suggestions are appreciated because this issue is entirely new to me. Thanks.

Note: I've also been having a problem with my PC just randomly loosing a video signal and basically crashing while playing a game, forcing me to power off my system. I believe this issue is driver related and I will be formatting my hard drive soon because this wasn't a problem before. But then again, maybe one of you guys has had this same problem (ie. the power up problem coupled with the random crashes).

P.S. I've also checked the rails on my PSU and they are all tight (within 2%). So that isn't a problem. I can't think of anything else so please feel free to post your ideas/suggestions. Thanks.

It really sounds like a cold boot issue, even though your PSU might be a new revision it sounds identical to a lot of the issues others have had. It could be your Seasonic PSU, I have never used their products so I dont know anything in that respect, but being a victim of the cold boot issue, it seems thats what you have.

Guest Retratserif

Hey man, if you can get it to boot, your board is ok, it just doesnt like the PSU that much. I RMA'ed mine and waitign for refund to get one off the suggested list.

BTW nice setup, very close to mine for the main parts.

I'm with "watsonte". The turning on difficulty is classic cold boot.

The shut down could also be a power issue due to heavy loads from the 2 7900's

Try only 1 vid card and see if you have the same problem. If so, its possilbe the PSU is OK.

When you checked the rails, did you use a DMM, and was the system under load

Guest ShogunCS
I'm with "watsonte". The turning on difficulty is classic cold boot.

The shut down could also be a power issue due to heavy loads from the 2 7900's

Try only 1 vid card and see if you have the same problem. If so, its possilbe the PSU is OK.

When you checked the rails, did you use a DMM, and was the system under load

I checked the PSU just by using ITE Smart Guardian and ran Prime95 for awhile and the rails seemed to be stable. As for the one video card idea, I may give that a go after I format because I believe it may just be a driver issue because this problem has only been occuring with Oblivion. Though I haven't tried out anything else lately, so it may be the PSU as well.

Guest ShogunCS
It really sounds like a cold boot issue, even though your PSU might be a new revision it sounds identical to a lot of the issues others have had. It could be your Seasonic PSU, I have never used their products so I dont know anything in that respect, but being a victim of the cold boot issue, it seems thats what you have.

I figured it was some odd cold boot issue regarding the now infamous problem with the Seasonic PSU and DFI mobo combo. I may be tempted to go buy a different power supply if my issues aren't resolved.

One other suggestion is to try the older November BIOS. There was an SLI thread with the Expert, you may want to search for (it was several pages long), with similar symptoms

People in that thread found the older BIOS to help out a bit.

Guest ShogunCS

Hmmm I didn't know there was a Beta BIOS out, I thought the latest one was the one that was released by DFI in 12/05? Guess I was wrong..... where can I download that BIOS and also is there word on when an official BIOS update will be released by DFI? It's been almost 5 months since the last update! Not good considering this is one of their premier mobos.