-=Unofficial=- R580 Thread {Owners Wanted}

red930

Guest area51

I use ATI tools and dont have ccc installed.

I set up a base profile with low volts and clocks and a OC profile with higher volts and clocks and just pop between the two depending on what I am up to.

Also set up a nice fan profile and use it on both profiles that controls fan speed based on temps...

My card was originally XT but noticed I had the 1.1 mem so flashed it to XTX and never looked back. I can tell it has quite a bit more to give on the core if I would put some more volts but...not like I need it for anything

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALRIGHT - you got me interested in my xt again so i go away an run a couple of benchies. ------- so i just ran HL2 lost coast stress test - 103fps at full settings 16x12. then i ran with HDR enabled and aa/af set to off/trilinear. @ 16x12 i get purple shimmering everywhere, and i mean everywhere, every lit surface is this lurid purplish colour instead of , well, anything else. @1280x1024 its fine an i get 138fps - me thinks this card likes HDR,;;; and things look really great. but why cant i run @16x12???????? does anybody know anything. if this reamins an issue i shall start a new thread btw.

You running an CRT or LCD? So only on 1600x1200 you get these issues? What about other games at those settings, same thing or not? Try it....

@Area51

Yeah, that memory OC is very impressive. What are your voltage settings on 2d/3d with ATI TOOL if you don't mind me asking? I'm at work so i can't remember which settings i used just yet. I know when i brought the memory to 850MHz it corrupted my Windows XP desktop so i had to quickly switch back down before it locked up. Another thing i might do is trying lapping the stock Heatsink cooler this weekend and see if that makes a difference in which it probably should. Maybe add a fan pushing air right in the back of the card for testing as well, don't know. We'll see though....

19" CRT - iiyama.

tried 1024x768 and 1280x1024 - no issues with HDR just @ 1600x1200.

with aa/af on full @1600x1200 its fine just a bit slower. ive even been able to enable HDR AND aa in game with no probs but i was at 1280x1024 where normally i like 16x12 (otherwise whats the point of a 19" mon right?)

ive never heard of this issue before so i think its probably a settings thing. something easily remedied. i will have a play over the next 24 hours and see what i can do.

Actually if you're using a 19" CRT or even an LCD 1280x1024 is the best resolution you can use since 1600x1200 is for 21"+ if you didn't know. There is no point of using 1600x1200 on an 19" since you won't notice anything different, the height or the width didn't go anymore over since the screen cuts out at the edges anyway, get it? :)

cool. i get ya.

info assimilated.thanks.

i guess that means i can run HDR glory - but it still doesnt fix my shimmering issue even tho it doesnt really matter anymore. i will still investigate it and post back

ok - just to be random, my card has now decided that it CAN handle HDR @1600x1200 res for HL2 lost coast and CS:S tests. first i disabled Cat AI and that solved the problem - no more purple shimmering, but then as a control test i put AI back on and presto, the shimmering did not return. i could still do 1600x1200 with full AF and HDR ie max settings across the board - incidentally the FPS scores changed quite dramatically when i reintroduced Cat AI (im on 6.3's)

they were - max settings/no AA

1. no AI - ~74 fps ------------

2. standard AI - ~92 fps -----------

3. advanced AI - ~104 fps ------------

thats some big jump - no ai to advanced is 30 FPS !!!

im gonna do some more tests with AI and mipmap detail too, then run some controls with CCC instead of ingame settings.

back soon

right - tests run with HL2 lost coast

best fps was always gonna be low settings so no point raving about 165 fps - i consider anything above 100fps to be good.

best visual result was with HDR and 16xAF set ingame, all settings @high ; and high quality AF, mipmap high quality, adv AI set in CCC. this gave ~98fps and looked truly AMAZING.

fps variation with mipmap level went from 105 @high qual to A SHUTDOWN @high performance. this was due to heat - my temps raced up to 80c++ (fan 100% @78c) and then beyond till screen corruption occurred and i stopped the run in fear of card injury. what the hell does max performance in mipmap do???? the onscreen texture detail was very poor so why would anyone use it if it pushes up the temps so high?

anyway, finally i used CCC to control everything and got an excellent performance but just not as good looking as with HDR. although i have to say that with ALL the AA and AF tricks enabled in CCC the resolution flicker of far objects was almost nil. in games where HDR was not available i think i am going to use CCC for settings from now on just for adaptive AA and HQ AF.

CS:S is now too old to be a good test of this card, all my results were above 100fps (most up in the 170's+) except with every CCC setting enabled on max qual - that came in at 87fps so no biggie.

any comments or experiences with HDR or CCC and x1900 series cards welcome...

Paul

Recently i've noticed when switching from desktop to a game from i get a corrupted screen with my 700/800 1.45v/2.1v. Either this is a bug or something with my voltages just isn't right. So when this happens i can't do anything else but to reboot the machine via reboot button from case. Just wonder if anyone is running ATI TOOL 25 Beta14 that thought he/she had a stable overclock until the same situation ocurred. Thanks.

I've noticed Prince of Persia The Two Thrones running way too fast. Not sure if it's a setting in ATI TOOL, but i don't remember the game being like that at all before. Anybody seen this problem? There are no new patches for the game either. A.I. Disabled? Something is wrong here...LOL!