Sign in to follow this  
Burky

Temperatures of dual core opterons

Lol, yeah, not too sure if I have grounds to RMA it. When I popped the XP-120 off just before the CPU didn't come out. Also, with the stock cooler it didn't come out when I took that off earlier today. Realistically the AS5 hadn't settled fully on either, I don't think, but yeah.

/edit: thermal paste was spread around nicely, just as it should be with only a dot in the centre...looks like contact is fine. But now its just hanging at Verifying DMI Pool Data....Update Success.

Mind you, I just sold my XBLK ram and am running 512mb Legend crappy ram until my BHZ gets here from the states (3mths)

Disk read errors now...lol the headaches! Could be the raptor dying...

But now its just hanging at Verifying DMI Pool Data....Update Success. (3mths)

Disk read errors now...lol the headaches! Could be the raptor dying...

That's what mine does when the ram is unstable.

Me too, I fixed it by manually adjusting my settings, taking a lot off them off auto. I still say that it's ludacris to keep an expensive messed up board, simply because of a long RMA time.

Whatever not my money or headache.

Me too, I fixed it by manually adjusting my settings, taking a lot off them off auto. I still say that it's ludacris to keep an expensive messed up board, simply because of a long RMA time.

Whatever not my money or headache.

Would it even be possible for me to RMA it from NZ, when it was bought in the states?

That's what mine does when the ram is unstable.

Yeah, I have seen that before too when OCing my xblk. Looks like the HDD may be on the way out - tried it in flatmate's computer, took like 5min to actually be "installed" in windows, then only showed up one partition. Restarted to WinXP boot cd, couldn't even read the HDD properly - got to "35300mb disk...." and just stopped. Frozen/hung etc.

Finally got it to recognise - says my secondary partition (with only oblivion - NTFS created in WinXP) was unknown. Deleted that, reinstalling windows from scratch....

RAM seems to be stable - primed overnight 3 nights in a row (at various settings). Have to manually set it to "normal" speed though.

On the plus side my Opteron works :) Even if it is at high temp ;)

Ok, either there is something seriously messed up with my Opteron 170, or it just runs really hot....

I used to have one like that. CCBWE 0550UPMW. Could not bring it under 38C idle and had to lower volts to 1.3 to keep under 55 under load (at 2.6ghz). XP-90 too.

Replaced with another one, CCBWE 0551VPMW, runs 10 degrees lower with the same cooling/board.

When I popped the XP-120 off just before the CPU didn't come out

The CPU gets stuck to the HSF if you use too much artic ceramic. it happens with 2 of my expert boards, and 3 of my shuttles.

Its not a fault of the board, its the fact that the CPU is just 'glued' to the HS.

On a side note, at 276x10 1.55v my opty runs 26 degrees idle, 36 degrees load under water.

The CPU gets stuck to the HSF if you use too much artic ceramic. it happens with 2 of my expert boards, and 3 of my shuttles.

Its not a fault of the board, its the fact that the CPU is just 'glued' to the HS.

On a side note, at 276x10 1.55v my opty runs 26 degrees idle, 36 degrees load under water.

Thanks Elaruwan - I think you're right - I did definitely have too much AS5 ont here before...my bad.

Its all good - right now I'm priming @ 2.7ghz, 1.45v, so far so good sitting at around 55*C max. mostly 54*C. (with MUCH less AS5 than before - applied using Angry's method).

To me, this is alright, not too worried about 55*C (as most games/apps will never cause it to go this high).

Thanks for all your help guys - guess I was just getting a bit ahead of myself :D.

I used to have one like that. CCBWE 0550UPMW. Could not bring it under 38C idle and had to lower volts to 1.3 to keep under 55 under load (at 2.6ghz). XP-90 too.

Replaced with another one, CCBWE 0551VPMW, runs 10 degrees lower with the same cooling/board.

Interesting. I'm happy enough with it running hotish for now. When the time comes, I'll probably switch over to water cooling.

Alright - seems like the CPU just needed a little burning (or maybe the AS5 just needed to settle?)

Went to bed last night and chucked it on to dual prime (core 1 went on just after core 0, hence the discrepency in primed digits @ 112k) and the temps were hitting up to 55*C. Woke up this morning, cpu fan speed had halved, temps were 47*C max, and both primes were still going strong. Came back from work - same deal - in fact it was down to 45*C.

I'm happy now - didn't really want to see it reaching 50*C+...somehow didn't feel right. And I know its at last 18hrs DUAL prime stable :).

opteron17027ghzprimestable18hr.th.jpg

NOTE: Still running flatmate's ultra-crap Legend DDR400 atm, so I was really just testing the CPU.

Have you read the Dual-core Prime95 guide?

If you are following it, and it still vanishes, then your system is probably unstable - add more voltage, or clock your cpu back a bit, otherwise try loosening some timings on your ram/adding volts.

Otherwise, here's a rundown on how to do it:

Create two shortcuts to the one installation of Prime95.

Add to the end of your "target" line -A0

on one shortcut and -A1

on the other.

These should be outside the quotation marks, with a space between the last quotes and the -.

Then open both.

Click on advanced>affinity

Tell the one that you added -A0 to run on core 0.

Tell the one that you added -A1 to run on core 1.

Click torture test, and viola, away you go. :)