Temperatures of dual core opterons

Burky

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you had 2 engines under the hood of your car instead of one, it would run hotter too. Add that you took it from 1.35v to 1.53v. You could try reseating your CPU reapply the thermal paste, try a dot in the middle of the IHS instead of spreading it all over.

remove the IHS

While this will help, is it really addressing the root cause of Squattingdogs issue?

Does seem a little high there dog, maybe try reseating the XP-120?

remove the IHS

Yeah, I might do that in the future, but I would rather not - it may reduce a) resale value and B) because of the way the xp-120 clips down, I'm not sure sure I would like to give it a shot. Don't really want to crush the core when I just payed NZD$692 for this CPU and don't have cash to just throw away on another one.

I realise that the possibility of crushing the core is probably slim - hell, I had a thermal probe (with some thick cables) underneath my AthlonXP 2200+ and 2500+, with a very tight fitting Volcano 7 for a long time, and had to take the cooler on and off a great many times, without crushing those "naked" cores.

I am not too keen on reseating the XP-120 either - but I will give it a shot - as it tends to take the cpu out of the socket with it (yes the cpu is in the "locked" position), and subsequently bends the last 2 rows of pins...

By board, I presume you mean chip? Or are you saying that the motherboard should be holding the chip in better than that?

I don't really want to go through the fiasco of RMAing the board, as I bought it in the States, and am now in NZ.

If I got it here, then yeah, that would be alright - but I don't really want to be fully without a computer while it gets RMA'd. The NB fan died some time ago too, but that's a different story. My flatmate's POS gigabyte board also had the same thing happen when he took off his stock hsf - he was pulling straight up and was not even using as5...

Anyways, I'll post back again on temps after reseating hsf and re-reapplying AS5..

Guest shaolin95

Guys please post YOUR ambient temp. If you dont do that then non of your temps make much sense for a comparison.

Opty 165 2780mhz @ 1.52vcore

idle: ~30C

Load: 40C (if dual prime then 42C max)

ambient: 75F

erm, after reapplying a "small dot in the centre, instead of spreading it around" the system refuses to boot to windows at all (i can only speculate there is now NOT ENOUGH as5 at all.) Temps in the bios remain at a constant 38*C at idle with the same settings - so no change here.

Going to try removing IHS...wish me luck ><

/edit: don't have the tools right now for it, just going to take hsf off again, apply a bit more as5, and try booting again ^^". I get the feeling that the ihs may not be touching both cores perfectly on mine - temp increases by about 18*c when core 0 is under load, but only about 9*C when core 1 is under load....

erm, after reapplying a "small dot in the centre, instead of spreading it around" the system refuses to boot to windows at all (i can only speculate there is now NOT ENOUGH as5 at all.) Temps in the bios remain at a constant 38*C at idle with the same settings - so no change here.

Going to try removing IHS...wish me luck ><

Don't take the IHS off, the socket is shot, if it's not holding the CPU right. The PC should boot with the small amount of thermal paste, actually i believe it's Angry_Game's preferred method of application. Also you said your temps are 38, so that's not the problem. I apply a small amount every time, and I get 1C-2C lower that way. Yes, RMA the board, taking the top off is just going to void the warranty on a perfectly good CPU.