Temperatures of dual core opterons

Burky

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My opty 165 was running 2Ghz (225*9) @ 1.3V

Idle i was around 33-35C. On load (dual prime), after 10 mins, I was hitting 52-53C. I know, I had put too much AS5, i'll have to look after that. Thats why I put it back to stock.

Was the 200mhz really worth the 200$???? I mean at 2.8ghz your beating an FX-60.. why do you need more then that???

Hell Ill be happy if I can get my 0607 CCBWE 165 to 2.5ghz under 1.5V

I hate the "you don't need" arguement. It's ludicrous to say something like because we technically don't need about 90% of the . we have in our lives. You don't NEED a bed... you can sleep on the floor. Will you? Hell no, if you can have a bed you want one... if you can have a super comfortable bed... you'll take that too, wouldn't you?

Long story short, quit using that tired old arguement.

Actually I wasn't even talking to him, I was giving my opinion to the original thread starter. I agree with you that a lot of us have extra gear we don't necessarily need, but want. I was merely defending my point of view after my technical understanding of the topic was questioned rudely.

Actually I wasn't even talking to him, I was giving my opinion to the original thread starter. I agree with you that a lot of us have extra gear we don't necessarily need, but want. I was merely defending my point of view after my technical understanding of the topic was questioned rudely.

Gotcha, strike my comment from the record then.

EDIT: Actually, I wasn't even referring to you. It was to WoWchamp.

Minding the original question of dual core opty temps.... I'm getting fluctuations between 37-38(Smartguardian temps) Deg C @ 99.6% load on the stock cooler. I currently have my opty slightly oced to 2025MHz with stock voltage(1.31v). I got the same temps at stock also and my idle is 30deg C

I'll be posting temps with my CM Hyper 6+ later on.

Ok, either there is something seriously messed up with my Opteron 170, or it just runs really hot....

My old Athlon64 3200+ Venice E3 ran at 32*C idle, 39*C full load @ 2.5ghz 1.425v. (Prime)

My Opteron 170 runs at 38-40*C idle, and as much as 65*C full load @ 2.75ghz 1.53v. (Dual Prime)

I switched over to using my Thermalright XP-120 again, (which i was running on my A64) to see if that helped, and it got temps down to around 61-63*C, but that is still WAAAAYYY above where I'd like to be...

What is the max temp these babies should go to? on AMD's site it says case temp 49*C to 65*C.

My Opteron (using A64TCaseMax) is rated at 35.0w TDP, 49*C CaseMax. Does this have any relation to actual temps?

And for the record, I have a 120mm intake, 2x90mm, 1x120mm, 2x80mm (psu) outtake fans...exactly what I had before. Using an Evercool 120mm fan on my XP-120, which spins up to 2500rpm - exactly what it was on my A64.

I know you're going to say "get better cooling (water or better) or underclock it" but neg, don't want to underclock it :P, and right now I don't have money for water - also, isnt water a pain the butt to transport to LANs etc (cos you have to empty it out)?

Oh yeah, and for some reason, Speedfan can no longer control my fans - hell it couldn't even read the temps or anything before I updated it after I updated my BIOS and chucked the opty in...the new version can read the temps, but not change the fans...><

CCBWE btw