Sign in to follow this  
richiec77

Opty 165 Overclocking database

Can I classy lady about a 165 that will only do 2.8 with 1.5 volts?? I really wanted 3 gz. but my load temp. is 50C.

--EJM

hey, this the ccbbe 0617 chip? if so, it could be your RAM that's holding you back, hence it's pc3200, i advice you upgrade to some pc4xxx dimms :)

those ccbbe 0617 should be able to do 2.8 on stock voltage, and your load temp shouldn't really be 50C, try to keep it below 46C.

I heard my stepping is one of the best.

With these settings it stays at 50c under load and 33c idle.

I really haven't tried for much more.I did try 2.8 with 1.45v but load temps were 54c.

I think with water I could hit 3ghz but its not worth the trouble for 400mhz more.

Does anyone think I'm pushing my luck with my power supply?

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc?id=117063 My 32bit XP pro install developed a driver problem and at first I thought my overclock was unstable so i tried default settings, without marking all my ram settings and I have to reset them all but mine does 2836mhz prime stable 8 hours at 1.425 volts. One core fails past 318 no matter what temp, volts ect. But it runs hot, CCBBE 0610 I tried reseating it and switching from the stock HSF but nothing seems to help, runs hot at stock too; idles around 38c with an Arctic Freezer pro 64 behind a Vantec 92mm Tornado and other case fans so either it just runs hot no matter what or my sensors are reading wrong; side panel off, AC set low, nothing matters. One day I'll put it to water but i want a better case for that. It says 54c under load and priming at 8 hours at that temp it was still stable so I don't know. If others with this stepping and similar temps let me know if they are getting similar results post here maybe this chip just runs hot, i would like to see a correlation, thanx.

On the ram I used an entry from somebody in the OC database with the same board, Opteron single core, and similar ram (2x512mb DDR400) but i had to tweak it slightly different and mine ran great. Once I get time to redo everything

Benny you seem to have a similar issue with the same stepping I have been running mine at 315 for a bit now and other than priming my temps stay around 40c for everyday stuff only 54c while priming but seeing yours I think it could be a sensor issue.

Mine (CCB1E 0609) is doing 2.8GHz with 1.4v.. just would not go higher.. maybe with diff BIOS and diff dividers, but ive tried the vcore till 1.55v O_O and no good :(

Mine (CCB1E 0609) is doing 2.8GHz with 1.4v.. just would not go higher.. maybe with diff BIOS and diff dividers, but ive tried the vcore till 1.55v O_O and no good :(

Dude, that's a 56% OC... What are you complaining about.. :P

Since you didn't post your package code (or a signature for that matter!) there's not that good of a comparison. Here's some more info: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=96900

Just installed my newly arrived Opty:

AMD Opteron 165

OSA165DAA6CD

CCBBE 0615EPMW

Will be testing during the next week, haven't got the time this weekend, and I'll let you know.

The stepping is promising though! :D

Stepping - CCBWE 0530 TPMW

The list @ XS says this stepping should do 2900. Could be, but I can't get mine to, yet. I don't think it will scale to there. I have it Orthos stable @ 291 x 9 with 1.375vid. I'm priming now @ 293 x 9 with 1.40vid. so far I can't get it to prime @ 294 x 9 1.40vid craps out core 0 and 1.425 craps out core 1. And I just went to MWave where i bought it and found out the price has dropped from 261 when I got it the first week of this month to 159. But their out of stock.. I wonder why my stepping is over a year old. But it primed at 1800 so I can't return it plus i cut the lid off already. So I'm venting. Sorry.

I'm thinking about putting the 146 I got in the 3G club back in. The sig needs updating as i have a Thermalright 120 Ultra cooling the cpu now. Temps are not an issue with this o/c, she's running @ 37-38c priming right now.

If anyone has experiance with one core wanting more volts than the other will take, let me know if there's some solution. Please.

HELL yeah

Those Optys sure rock!!! But as in one single message i've read in this OCDB, as i managed to go further from where i stand (2.4Ghz) the system boot was stable and the temps were OK. BUT in CPUZ the memory (wich should be 198mhz, not over 200 since OCZ platinum 2-3-2-5 ain't a good overclocker) wasnt recognized. Then i just rebooted and the same still happened. To be sure i oppened 3dMark2006 and also the system memory clock couldn't be recognized. I chicken'd out and turned it back to 2.4Ghz. Any clues about tha UFO?

Second thought: i wanna try going to 300x9, so the 2/3 multiplier would keep my memory stable. Might tweak the voltage to 1.45-1.5 volts also. Does anyoen see any problem on that? If anyone with this stepping has any setup to give me i would be the most pleased. Tried to go 2.6Ghz but the memory will go up to DDR440 and i'm really running away from CAS, RAS to CAS latency changes. You would say "try it and tell me", but after the "hiding" memory clock i just don't want to go further on unknown territory. It would be great to see a setup ready!

Thanks a lot. This forum is the bible for Opterons 165. Great idea!

currently running mine @ 312*9 with only 1.28V :D for everyday use,

ive manage to get 334*9 @ 1.39V but i didnt go further my rails became a bit fluctualy under the high temps of summer,

since winter is coming i migfht try to get it higher :D

One core fails past 318 no matter what temp, volts ect. But it runs hot, CCBBE 0610 I tried reseating it and switching from the stock HSF but nothing seems to help, runs hot at stock too; idles around 38c with an Arctic Freezer pro 64 behind a Vantec 92mm Tornado and other case fans so either it just runs hot no matter what or my sensors are reading wrong; side panel off, AC set low, nothing matters. One day I'll put it to water but i want a better case for that. It says 54c under load and priming at 8 hours at that temp it was still stable so I don't know. If others with this stepping and similar temps let me know if they are getting similar results post here maybe this chip just runs hot, i would like to see a correlation, thanx.

On the ram I used an entry from somebody in the OC database with the same board, Opteron single core, and similar ram (2x512mb DDR400) but i had to tweak it slightly different and mine ran great. Once I get time to redo everything.

I've a similar deal going on here. I can get to 306 FSB with a 1.30 vcore, temps are around 28C Idle but 45C load P95 12 hour stable. I can't seem to get any higher but I'm still trying to fiddle around with my RAM. I think that's the culprit, if you are curious check out my timings in "My 3700+ San Diego OCDB Entry" in my signature. They are the same with the exception of the divider, I still try running them at or below 250MHz. I just don't think my RAM and CPU are getting along too well.

My PWMIC gets extremely hot compared to my 3700, well into or above the mid 50's.

I'll just have to keep at it and be glad I've got something to keep me busy this winter when I'm bored.

I'll keep ya posted. Oh and please let me know what u think as I'm always open to suggestions.

Edit: Ebdoraz, looks like a gem of a CPU u got there. I can't believe your gettin 3.0 under 1.4 vcore. I'm assuming that is at least prime stable?

Needed to do some retweaking on my OC cause I changed fans...

Apparently, using the psu directly vs. plugging the fans into the mobo fan headers DOES cause instability, at least for me...

gah!

Got my 165 in last week, so far I've gotten it up to 311x9 @ 1.34v. It was failing at stock voltage so I went up a couple of notches. I'm going to try dropping it one, possibly back to stock to see if it burned in or something. Temps are pretty reasonable with a Zalman 7700, hits 50-51 C during dual Prime95. I have tried for 3 GHz, but my cooling isn't up to the task.