Opty 165 Overclocking database

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My oc is in my sig. Solid as a rock (save a few audigy problems)

Temps never go higher than 45deg full load on both cores.

Cant seem to get it to go any higher though. Havent got a lot of time to play around either :(

As you can see form my stepping i can go much further then where i stand right now (2410Mhz). But as i said over and over on other posts, i want so spare my optys life, and since i dont need anything more then that untill crysis is released ima keep it that way.

I have heard several times that opterons are cool (not to say cold) but my opty loads at 36-37ºC (Only once for a second it hits 38ºC). And thats not the mobos temperature. Since i got a secondary thermometer from my case between two heatpipes on the HSF, i have now 2 measurements to be sure. On the mobo my temp cant go over 35ºC!!!. How come? Is that true?

I have never seen a stock CPU at those temps, not to say one overclocked 33%! Since i have two measurements system i gotta believe but seriously, is it true? I got me a nice case with 2x120mm and 1x92mm fans, managed the cables to easy airflow and used artic silver 5. I did my homework. Am I just being rewarded by doing so?

(im at work, but later ima put a photo of my cable management)

wow, those are some sweet temps. however, you're currently clocking low on your cpu so you're not really pushing it at all. and as for the lifespan, it may vary but I doubt you'll be there to see the CPU fail because of overclocking. I've never had a CPU die on me for overclocking and/or overvolting (relative to default), but I change CPU's (and mobo etc.) every 6-18 months. If you drop the lifespan from 10 to 5 years, ask yourself if you're still going to run your Opteron overclocked in 5+ years time. By the time it fails Opterons are worthy of a museum. ;)

wow, those are some sweet temps. however, you're currently clocking low on your cpu so you're not really pushing it at all. and as for the lifespan, it may vary but I doubt you'll be there to see the CPU fail because of overclocking. I've never had a CPU die on me for overclocking and/or overvolting (relative to default), but I change CPU's (and mobo etc.) every 6-18 months. If you drop the lifespan from 10 to 5 years, ask yourself if you're still going to run your Opteron overclocked in 5+ years time. By the time it fails Opterons are worthy of a museum. ;)

Indeed thats true. But i plan to keep my opteron for 3-3.5 years because thats the time i need to graduate in college. Even so, i might hit 2610 Mhz (again, still dont need it, just waiting for crysis arrival) and if in 1 or 2 years i find my pc too slow i can get me a watercooler and hit 2,9Ghz. Got my point? Do you think 2,6Ghz can be achieved with the Stock HSF? I might go for 1,4 Volts on core to do so. Is that stable for at least 8 hours?

You won't hit 2.9ghz on a 0551 UPMW. Most seem to do 2.6-2.7ghz even with water.

Before I just sold mine, I pushed it hard, and I couldn't get 2.7ghz stable with 1.55v, and that was on watercooling. 2.6ghz was fine with 1.45v though.

I'm sure you can get 2.6ghz with stock HS.

Getting a 170 alone won't definitely increase your OC potential. It will increase your potential to run RAM at 1:1, but that's all that's guarenteed. You might get a 170 that clocks worse than what you have...

Got some decent results with a 0607 ccbwe. 290x6 @ 1.52 14 hours prime. I think that's the wall though for prime without >1.6 V

EDIT: I need to learn how to use a calculator

290*9 you mean right? :tooth:

Hey, I can't find the Overclocking database (someone link me?), but since this is a 165 overclocking thread , I'll post the results of my CCBBE 0610DPMW on air cooling.

2.8Ghz..1.264Vcore (1.3V BIOS)

39my1.th.jpg

2.9Ghz..1.37Vcore (1.4V BIOS)

39my1.th.jpg

Waiting for water and then I will take off the IHS on this beast. :dog:

Hey, I can't find the Overclocking database (someone link me?), but since this is a 165 overclocking thread , I'll post the results of my CCBBE 0610DPMW on air cooling.

Nice OC. Here's the link for the OCDB. Socket 939 Overclocking Database

Make sure you follow the template so your entry doesn't get deleted.

Nice OC dude. My core #0 doesn't like heat, it fails @ ~50C when stressed if I go over current speed where it's rock stable.

A tip for people not owning Dualcore CPU's yet: The chance of finding a dualcore chip where BOTH cores hit 2.9-3.0Ghz without problems isn't too big. You may have one core that goes past 3Ghz while the other keeps you @ 2.5. Luck of the draw, even when it comes to known steppings. ;)