Sign in to follow this  
PsyCLown

Opty 165 how easy to OC?

Hi,

Im not sure if I should get a 2x 3800 or an Opty 165. Im going to be using it mainly for gaming, and aparently you can OC an opty165 so that it almost runs as fast as a FX60 :drool: ...Is that true? Also iv never OC anything be4, and would like to know how safe it is. I would like to know how far I can OC the Opty165 to on the specs listed below.

Thanks!

I've got mine at 2.7. But I have been reading a thread on the X2 3800+ at Xtreme site and there have been a lot of the X2 3800+ '06 series chips that hit 2.8 on stock vcore and stock cooling.

My opty 165 is at 2.7 still playing, the 3800 x2 as 512Kb L2 cache and the opty 165 as 2MB L2 Cache which is better for gaming so it depends on what you are planning to do.

Well im going to be using mt PC mainly for gaming as I said above and will also be ripping DVD's and games and things like that. I would like to know which CPU I can OC to run games better and with my CPU cooler (the Zalman fan) and it must still be stable and safe.

I dont know much about OCing.

i have done oc'ing on both 3800+'s and 165's and truth be told, it's 50/50 either way. you'll either get something good, or...whatever. the thing to remember is that ANYTHING clock over the rated stock speed is no sure thing. AMD is not in the OC'ing business and they don't care about it (yes, i know you've heard it before.....)

in any case, my personal pref. is for the 165.

dave

I have a 4800 x2 @ 2.9 and a opty 165 @ 2.7and the opty is easier to over clock than the 4800 the only thing with the opty it as a multiplier of 9 which is no a big issue really just more maths or use the dfi tool, my opty as 1.42v so cooling would be ok the 4800 as 1.47-1.52v thats on water.

Have a read through a couple of these links there is more out there google it

LINK

LINK

Also every CPU is slightly different, so I might be lucky and get a CPU which OC alot better than my friend who also get an opty165 and his doesnt OC as well as mine. Am I correct? What is the stock clockspeed of the opty165? Also its the dual core 3800 im talking about. lol

the second link in my last post will tell evrything about the opty, yes if you are a lucky you could get a cpu that gives you a great oc

Hmm, I think ill get the Opty...only prob is that iv never OC anything be4 so will need some help there. Do any of you guys have a similar or the exact setup as im going to be getting to give me some stable settings which you have achieved on your opty165? Or do you guys know any1?